SOCSD attracts new teachers with Jacket Job Fair

The Starkville Oktibbeha Consolidated School District will host their first Jacket Job Fair from 4 to 6 p.m. Monday in the Sudduth Elementary School Gymnasium.
This job fair is a recruiting event for student education majors, and new and veteran teachers looking to teach grades K-12 in the SOCSD.
Christy Maulding, assistant superintendent for curriculum & instruction for the SOCSD, said while this job fair is focusing on recruitment toward education majors, there are a range of jobs in the education industry which will be available and discussed.
“Although we are targeting individuals that are education majors, other individuals that are interested in being teacher assistants, administrators, etc. are welcome to come and introduce themselves,” Maulding said.
Every school in the SOCSD will have a representative at the job fair, and Maulding said she believes this even† will expose potential teachers to the unique and hospitable climate teachers in the SOCSD experience.
Brett Beatty, senior secondary education major with a concentration in social studies from Tuscaloosa, Alabama, said he is unable to attend the job fair but is interested in the opportunities the event has to offer. In addition, Beatty said many education majors and veteran teachers will utilize the event.
“I do believe this job fair will be very helpful to graduates from secondary education and elementary education programs,” Beatty said. “This really opens opportunity we wouldn’t otherwise have. It is a fantastic opportunity that we as education majors have been given. It’s not very often that events like this occur, and because it is local, it gives people the opportunity to stay close the university.”
Beatty said he is not only excited about the Jacket Job Fair, but is excited to see a school district making such a strong effort to recruit and retain teachers. Beatty said many of his friends will attend the Jacket Job Fair in hopes of finding full-time positions after graduation.
Julie Fancher, principal at Henderson Ward Stewart Elementary School, said there is a significant shortage of teachers across Mississippi, and said they are working to recruit and retain teachers.
Fancher said the SOCSD wants to create a welcoming and encouraging environment where teachers love to come to school every day. In her own school, Fancher said she believes they make every effort possible to provide incentives for teachers, as well as making teachers feel welcomed and appreciated.
Overall, Fancher said they foster an atmosphere focused on building relationships and connections. When they focus on those things, she said, she believes success for the schools and teachers is sure to follow.
Among many of their initiatives, Fancher said she believes the Jacket Job Fair will positively impact the SOCSD by showing potential teachers how valuable they can be to the school district and community.
“Our main goal is to promote opportunities at all schools in the district, and give those veteran teachers and recent college graduates a chance to experience our school culture,” Fancher said.