MSU band director selected to prestigious organization

Courtesy Photo

Elva Kaye Lance, director of bands at Mississippi State University, was recently one of 13 band directors elected to the prestigious American Bandmasters Association.
Founded in 1929, ABA represents some 300 conductors and composers throughout the U.S. and Canada, along with 80 associate members from music-related businesses and corporations which support performing units and the publication of music they perform.
Lance said she loves interacting with past, present and future members of the Maroon Band.
“My favorite part of my work with the Maroon Band is getting to know and work with the outstanding student members of our band program,” Lance said. “Additionally, my job affords me an unusual opportunity to visit with alumni, work with students who are presently enrolled at MSU and meet with prospective students, sometimes all in the span of a few hours.”
Lance does not attribute her success to just herself, however.
“The success that one has in their career is not just an individual thing,” Lance said. “As a teacher, I have had great students who have worked hard and have made performing well a priority. I am also very fortunate to have great colleagues and staff, and a very supportive administrative leadership. All of these individuals share in any successes that I have had.”
An intense vetting process is required for ABA admission. Those tapped for membership must have achieved the highest levels of excellence over a sustained career.
Clifton Taylor, a senior marketing major and member of the Famous Maroon Band, said Lance deserves this prestigious recognition.
“She has done so much for the band program and the university in general,” Clifton Taylor said. “To see her get recognition on the national level is wonderful. It’s such an honor in the band world and it reflects on her efforts.”
MSU Associate Director of Bands Craig Aarhus echoed Clifton Taylor’s sentiment.
Aarhus said he started working with Lance in 2003, not long after she was named director. He said he was proud and “very happy” for Lance and her election is “well-deserved.”
Aarhus also said the recognition is a good thing for the band’s program, and there is “no higher honor” in the band community.
As far as Lance’s personality, Aarhus said she is empathetic toward students and coworkers.
“She’s an exceptional leader and a wonderful person to work with,” Aarhus said. “She really cares about her students.”
Cliff Taylor, also an MSU associate director of bands, said he has personally known Lance for 13 years. However, he knew her name long before then.
“I knew her by reputation and knew who she was because of attending the state convention and things like that,” Cliff Taylor said. “In our state, she’s a very well-known and respected director.”
Cliff Taylor said not many make it into the ABA, and it is like an exclusive club.
“Only the very best of the best get invited to be a member of the Bandmasters Association,” Cliff Taylor said. “So, I’m very proud of [Lance] and very proud to be associated with her.”
Cliff Taylor said Lance gives her attention not only to the university, but also has a desire to spread her knowledge of band directing. She appears at the state convention every year, in addition to appearing as a judicator and guest conductor around the country. Locally, Cliff Taylor said Lance helps high school and middle school band directors.
“She’s wonderful to work with,” Cliff Taylor said. “She is the kind of person who shares her knowledge freely with other people. She’s the kind of person who shares the credit of the success of the band with other people who work around her and works very well with other people. And she’s very encouraging.”