Sprint for Super Gabe: more than a 5k

Super Gabe
Super Gabe

Mississippi State University’s Montgomery Leadership Program will hold its annual 5K, “Sprint For Super Gabe,” at 6 p.m. Wednesday in the Junction.
The event raises money for Epidermolysis Bullosa (EB) research to find a cure for the illness. The family of Gabe Valentine, a Starkville boy who passed away at 8 years old after a battle with EB, founded the race. According to the event’s link on racesonline.com, EB is a group of rare skin diseases which cause blisters to form on the skin. These blisters appear in response to a minor injury, heat, scratching or rubbing.
Griffin Valentine, a freshman psychology major from Starkville, who is Gabe’s brother, said Gabe was a strong and selfless child.
“No matter how tough a time he was going through, he always managed to have a smile and bring joy to those around him,” Griffin Valentine said. “He always saved the last of a treat for one of his friends or family to help them feel better.”
Gabe’s father Michael, who is an instructor in MSU’s Department of Psychology, said Gabe had the incredible ability of ending his life with grace.
“The most inspiring thing about Gabe was his clarity of mind,” Michael Valentine said. “His concern was not for himself, it was about other people, and that was the most inspiring thing for me.”
Alexis Sessions, a senior psychology major from Memphis is organizing the event. Sessions said Gabe was a strong little boy.
“He taught me how to persevere and keep moving forward,” Sessions said. “A common nickname for kids with EB is ‘butterfly children’ because they’re thought to be fragile, but in reality, Gabe was tougher and more resilient than anyone.”
Sessions also said she is excited for the event.
“What I’m most looking forward to with this 5K is definitely seeing how it will positively impact the Valentine family, friends of Gabe and his family and the community as a whole,” Sessions said. “It’s really easy to get caught up in the stress of planning and logistics that are associated with big events, but it will be really cool to take a step back on race day and see all the hard work and months of planning culminate in an event that brings joy and hopefully fun to those participating.”
Additionally, Sessions said this has not been her typical 5K run.
“Mr. Valentine has been my psychology professor for several classes, and Gabe was an honorary cadet through ROTC program, which I’m a part of, so I got to spend time with him throughout the past few years,” Sessions said. “Being able to direct such a successful race to commemorate such an awesome, strong kid like Gabe and his family has been so humbling and an honor.”
Michael Valentine said he is also excited for the event.
“I enjoy the spirit of people coming together to make positive changes,” Michael Valentine said. “It feels good to know my son is remembered.”
To register for the race, visit racesonline.com/events/sprint-for-super-gabe.