Pride Parade put back on BOA agenda

Courtesy Photo
Pride Parade put back on BOA agenda

The Starkville Board of Aldermen is reexamining the special event request for the highly publicized Pride Parade in their meeting at 5:30 p.m. Tuesday night at Starkville City Hall. 
On Feb. 20 the board voted 4-3 to deny Starkville Pride’s request to hold the first LGBT parade in Starkville on March 24. Ben Carver of Ward 1, David Little of Ward 3, Vice Mayor Roy A. Perkins and Henry Vaughn of Ward 7 voted in favor to deny the parade.
Following the denial, Starkville Pride filed for an injunction to sue the city of Starkville. Starkville Pride was connected with Roberta A. Kaplan, a renowned civil rights attorney and founding partner of Kaplan & Company, LLP. Kaplan said in a press release Friday afternoon she hopes the Starkville BOA corrects their previous decision.
“While we are obviously disappointed that the Board of Aldermen did not grant our clients’ application the first time around, we are hopeful that the Board will use this opportunity to do the right thing—and follow the Constitution,” Kaplan said.
Alderman Sandra Sistrunk said it is time for the board to reevaluate their responsibility to the people of Starkville. 
“We have had some time to clarify what our responsibility is and I think it is appropriate to reconsider the vote with an eye towards what our responsibility is, which is to uphold our oath of office and look at this from a governmental purpose,” Sistrunk said.
Bailey McDaniel, president of Starkville Pride, said she is cautiously optimistic about the parade being re-added to the agenda.
“The four aldermen who voted no have not indicated they are changing their vote,” McDaniel said. “Tomorrow, we could very well get into the aldermen meeting and they won’t even discuss it because it can be taken off the agenda.”
McDaniel commented on the city leadership and said she thinks highly of Starkville Mayor Lynn Spruill and several aldermen.
“I think the city is led very well with Mayor Spruill and the three aldermen who voted in favor along with the city attorney, they are wonderful,” McDaniel said.