Myah Taylor brings energy to the Lady Bulldogs

Jordan Smith | The Reflector

Myah Taylor drives the lane with the ball. Taylor had 16 points against Texas A&M. Her energy sparked the team’s energy to win 69-57.

During Mississippi State University women’s basketball game on Sunday, Myah Taylor’s energy was contagious to her teammates and the crowd. When she started working the court by scoring and stealing against Texas A&M University, it pushed her teammates to do the same as MSU won the game 69-57. 
Taylor still has five regular-season games left in her sophomore season to continue at her current rate. Taylor, the redshirt sophomore from Olive Branch, Mississippi, has made quite the impact during her first two seasons as a Bulldog. 
In her redshirt, freshman season, she showed her potential during the game against Southeast Missouri State University, where she scored her first record of seven points and six assists. By the end of that season, she had a record of six assists, 10 points in a game and three steals. 
Over the summer, the Bulldogs invested in their players by traveling to Italy to play in the World University Games. 
“The investment we made this summer, allowing us to go to Italy and play in the World University Games, probably did as much for this team as anything we could have possibly done,” Schaefer said. “I just think that the value of that trip, really, is what you’re seeing now.” 
Myah also went to Italy with the team and ranked second on the team in assists and third in steals. She and the team helped the United States of America team win the silver medal while at the World University Games. 
In a press conference before the team’s practice on Tuesday afternoon, Coach Schaefer and Myah both spoke about her performance this season and her outstanding performance during the game against Texas A&M on Sunday. 
During this game, Taylor scored 16 points and captured three steals from A&M. She said she was happy with her performance, but she has to look forward to the other games.
“I played really well in that game, but I can’t keep looking back at that game. That game’s over, it’s on to the next day, on to the next practice,” Taylor said. “I have to keep getting better and just continue to play hard for my team and do whatever they need me to do to win the game.” 
The team is on a bye-week after the game Sunday. Coach Vic Schaefer said how big of a deal this is because many players, including Myah, have been relentless on the court. 
“For Myah, coming off of her game on Sunday, she played so hard on both ends of the floor and was so engaged with her team,” Schaefer said. “I was sitting at the house Sunday night feeling fried and didn’t play a minute. I thought to myself, ‘I wonder how Myah feels because she was just so engaged on both ends of the floor.’” 
Taylor’s biggest improvement has been in her aggression on the court. She has doubled her personal record in a game from last season. Her record now sits at 20 points. Taylor has also nearly doubled her steals, now sitting at top five in a game. 
Myah has been running as guard for this season. She is 5’7” which makes her one of the shortest on the team. As Coach Schaefer said, it is very important for the players like Taylor to get rest during this bye-week after their many minutes of playing. Taylor tops out her record with 40 minutes played in a game and cannot get much higher than that. 
“I’m always concerned about our young kids. You know, at some point they’re going to go, ‘Man, I’ve never played this long,” Schaefer said. “It’s a good way to help manage that, and it’s falling at the right time.” 

Lydia Palmer
Lydia Palmer, Former Sports Editor
Lydia Palmer served as the Sports Editor from 2020 to 2021.