Students are ‘Tongue-Tied’ in anticipation of Grouplove’s homecoming concert

Courtesy of Music Maker Productions

Music Makers Productions (MMP) will host alternative-rock band Grouplove at 8 p.m. on Thursday at the Mississippi State University Amphitheater.

Grouplove has been present in the music scene since 2009. They have released five albums and a few EPs, but are most well-known for their 2011 hit single “Tongue-Tied.”
Mollie Brothers, a junior fine arts illustration major from Chicago, Illinois, currently serves as the public relations coordinator for MMP. She explained how the organization chose the band for this year’s homecoming show and the time it took to bring it all together.

“We look at what is best for our student body based on genre, location, date and time and other events circulating the university and the Starkville community,” Brothers said. “We want to provide the best experience for all of our students, community members and show attendees!”

The homecoming show has been in the works since late August. Brothers said Grouplove is looking forward to playing in Starkville since the return of live music following the peak of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

“Grouplove is excited to perform for us in a capacity that is safe for all attendees as well as themselves and their team,” Brothers said. “The music industry has had a variety of changes since the pandemic, and reopening the gates for live music is a wonderful thing if handled with care.”

The show is part of a series of events to celebrate MSU’s homecoming week. 

Rachel Carpenter, a junior business administration and political science double major from Corinth, Mississippi, is director of marketing for Student Association Executive Council. She explained that the Grouplove show will foster togetherness, which is what MSU’s homecoming is really about. 

“I think Grouplove is going to be great in giving students a live-music experience to celebrate the 2021 homecoming and a chance to spend time together as MSU students, which is really what homecoming is all about,” Carpenter said. 

Since MMP announced the show on their Instagram, the community has responded in an overall positive way as live music makes its long-anticipated return. For one MSU student in particular, Grouplove’s visit to Starkville will remind her of the “good ole days.”

Alex Hegman is a junior animal and dairy sciences major at MSU and has been a long-time Grouplove fan. She says the band’s most recognizable song brings back fond memories spent with family. 
“My three brothers and I always play the song ‘Tongue-Tied’ when we’re hanging out and acting crazy,” Hegman said. “Since one of my brothers is in the army and I’m here at State, that song is one way we can connect even though we’re apart”.

She says that she looks forward to attending the homecoming show to re-live those memories.

“That song has so many good memories attached to it and I am so excited to remember all of those when I see the band live,” Hegman said.

Brothers said the Music Makers are ready to continue bringing music back to MSU and the Starkville community.

“Live music is something to be celebrated, and we are happy to work hard to make sure that all can celebrate,” Brothers said. 

The show is free for students, faculty and all members of the Starkville community. The Amphitheater opens at 7 p.m and Grouplove will begin playing at 8 p.m.