Jes Miller elected as Student Association Treasurer

Jes Miller | Courtesy Photo

Junior Jes Miller was elected by the student body as the Student Association Treasurer.  

The Mississippi State University student body elected junior finance major Jes Miller as the new Student Association Treasurer. Miller won with a 58.1 percent majority and 1,581 votes on Feb. 26.
Hailing from Spring, Texas, a town just north of Houston, Miller’s extracurricular involvement can be seen across MSU.
He is currently serving as president of Foundation Ambassadors and co-director of recruitment for the Interfraternity Council. Miller is also a member of the risk management and insurance honor society, Gamma Iota Sigma, and a Phi Gamma Delta fraternity member.
Miller expressed excitement to accept the position of SA Treasurer and fulfill his goal of giving back to MSU.
“I have always wanted to serve the greater MSU student body on a higher level and finally have an opportunity to make a difference on campus through positive and impactful spending,” Miller said.
Though he looks forward to assuming every duty the treasurer’s role offers, Miller also recognizes the great responsibility accompanying the job.
When he fully takes the position, Miller will balance the budgets and expenditures of all divisions and organizations within the SA.
Miller plans to dedicate every effort to ensure the SA is responsible with its funds while also meeting the needs of every student and organization.
Scotty Bateman, former Phi Gamma Delta president and current biological engineering senior, once served alongside Miller on the Phi Gamma Delta cabinet. He said he has known Miller for three years from recruiting Miller to MSU and his fraternity.
“Watching Jes (Miller) grow and mature into who he is today leaves me no doubt he will excel as the SA treasurer,” Bateman said. “He has prepared himself in every way possible for this opportunity, and gives 110 percent in everything he does.”
When he was a freshman, Miller dreamed even bigger than his new role as treasurer, hoping to one day hold the title of SA president.
During the following two years at MSU, however, he decided that particular responsibility was meant for another candidate. Miller decided to offer his skills to a more “behind-the-scenes” position which still allowed him to serve the university publicly.
Miller’s biggest influence here at MSU has been his fraternity, Phi Gamma Delta, which has shown him a support to last long past his four years in college.
“The brotherhood within my chapter and life-lasting bonds I’ve created with some of my closest friends over the past few years will serve past college days alone,” Miller said. “Behind my family, they are my number one support group, and I cannot say I would have this opportunity or the growth I have experienced without each of my brothers’ unconditional love and support.”
Charles Provine, a fellow Phi Gamma Delta fraternity brother and current SA Chief of Staff, has also witnessed Miller’s leadership potential over his collegiate years.
“Jes (Miller) is my fraternity brother, and I’ve gotten to see him grow as a leader over the past few years while he’s served as a chapter officer, as well as president of Foundation Ambassadors,” Provine said. “Jes (Miller) is going to make a great Treasurer because he’s dedicated, organized and hardworking.”
Miller believes when it comes to all things life can throw, it is best to keep one’s chin up and persevere. He said the meaning of persistence is the most valuable lesson he has learned at MSU.
Whenever Miller’s persistence begins to waver, he remembers a quote from former former President Calvin Coolidge, “The slogan ‘press on’ has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
For other students considering running for an SA position next year, Miller suggests to first step back and examine one’s approach. He said to take the time to recognize the skills and experience required, the role’s daily responsibilities and how one would benefit the position itself as well as the MSU student body if elected.
“When the opportunity to campaign for treasurer came forward, I found no reason why I would not benefit from pursuing the job,” Miller said. “I am grateful for the support and love I have received over the past week, and even more thankful to have this opportunity to serve the MSU student body.”
After graduation, Miller hopes to use his degree’s Risk Management and Insurance concentration to earn a position producing for a major property and casualty insurance firm.
This summer, he will be interning with Arthur J. Gallagher in Louisiana, and said he is looking forward to the knowledge and experience he will gain through the eight-week program.
In a more long-term perspective, Miller simply seeks his own happiness.
“My main goal is not achieving happiness through success, but joy through fulfillment,” Miller said. “I cannot wait to spend more time with my family, and hopefully start one of my own.”