Mason Ramsey yodels his way into Rick’s Café

Gracie Byrne | The Reflector

Mason Ramsey performs at Rick’s Cafe’s main stage for MSU students and the Starkville community on March 23.

Rick’s Café was lined wall to wall with eager fans waiting to see Mason Ramsey Saturday night.
As I walked into Rick’s Café, I smelled three things: food, alcohol and vape smoke. I was here for one reason and one reason only—to see Mason Ramsey.
Ramsey, who is considered a living meme, has taken the world by storm. At only 12-years-old, he is a musician from Golconda, Illinois. He became famous by appearing in a 2018 viral video, in which he yodeled Hank William’s “Lovesick Blues” in a Walmart in Harrisburg, Illinois.
Before gaining fame, Ramsey performed at local venues, small events and nursing homes. He also performed at the Kentucky Opry. 
Ramsey performed with country stars before hitting it big. Notable names include Josh Turner, Gene Watson and Kenny Rogers.
His musical style was heavily influenced by his grandfather’s vinyl collection. Ramsey listened to musicians such as Elvis Presley, Hank Williams and Buddy Holly, as a young boy.
After his yodeling video spread around the internet, Ramsey was dubbed the “Walmart Yodeling Boy,” and appeared on Ellen DeGeneres’ talk show, Coachella and the stage of the Grand Ole Opry.  
Only weeks after breaking the web, Ramsey signed with Atlantic Records and released his first single “Famous” in April of 2018.
His hit single “Famous” was written by Florida Georgia Line’s Tyler Hubbard, Corey Crowder, Sarah Buxton and Canaan Smith. The song was produced by Joey Moi and Corey Crowder.
Now on tour, the musician plays at venues all across the country. 
The tour is titled “How’s Your Girl & How’s Your Family,” and has 11 southern and heartland cities as tour dates.
Fans showed up to Rick’s in western attire, donning flannel shirts, cowboy boots and cowboy hats.
The concert began at 9 p.m., with Avenue Beat opening up the concert. The group gave off a light vibe because of their choice of fun outfits. 
The trio sang multiple original songs and covers of other artist’s songs, such as High School Musical’s “Breaking Free” and Panic! at the Disco’s “Death of a Bachelor.”
Avenue Beat is a trio composed of members Sami Bearden, Savana Santos and Sam Backoff. The three started their band while in high school, posting videos on Youtube of them covering popular songs.
Avenue Beat performed well, and their sound was fun and bubbly. The energy they gave off was warm. Their harmony was well-rounded and enjoyable to listen to.
While the crowd seemed to enjoy the all-girl group, they were ready for the main act.
The crowd erupted when Ramsey took the stage. Dressed in a sequenced black jacket and pants, with matching white boots and hat, he was the picture of classic country music with a modern twist.
The rhinestones on his outfit caught the stage lights as he donned his acoustic guitar and began playing.
He performed songs such as “Lovesick Blues,” “The Way I See It” and “Jambalaya (On the Bayou),” among others. Ramsey also sang covers of other artists’ songs, such as Johnny Cash’s “Ring of Fire” and Hank Williams’ “I Saw the Light.”
Sometimes in leu of lighters or cell phone flashlights, the occasional audience member removed their cowboy boots to wave back and forth during the concert. 
The supporting band accompanying Ramsey performed well. Ramsey and the backup guitar player had fantastic energy when they would perform back-to-back during the concert.
To show his excitement for being in Starkville, Ramsey rang a cowbell. 
Ramsey’s style of performance was nothing short of suave and dynamic. His embodiment of classic country music was evident in his performance.
Ramsey interacted with the crowd during his performance, walking along the edge of the stage to give high fives and handshakes to ecstatic fans.
At the end of the concert, he thanked everyone for coming and exited the stage, with fans still screaming in excitement. 
Overall, the quality of the event was high, and I would attend another concert at Rick’s Café if given the chance. If I could see Ramsey again, I would. The concert was one I highly enjoyed, as the atmosphere teemed with excitement from beginning to end.
Prior to Starkville, Ramsey performed in Tuscaloosa the evening before. His next performance will March 27 in Austin, Texas.