Years later, Rack still humble

Although her name peppers the record books in nearly all offensive categories, trying to catch Mississippi State Lady Bulldog senior guard Alexis Rack bragging about her accomplishments is like trying to snap a photo of a unicorn.
    It ain’t happening.
    Rack is fourth all-time on the MSU scoring list, and certain to wind up in the top three. Three seems to be the magic number for the 5’7″ Franklin, La., native who wears number 2 on her jersey, but is already number one in career three-pointers. She also holds or is tied for seven of the top ten spots for single game records in treys.
    When Rack put up 43 points last November against nationally-ranked Maryland, none of the over 3,000 fans in attendance, including record-holder LaToya Thomas (48, in 2000), were surprised. Perhaps the only person in the Hump that was shocked by the score was Alexis herself.
    “I didn’t know,” she said. “I don’t look up to see how many I scored. I definitely felt in the zone. But like I’ve said before, any of our players could have a hot night.”
    Even if she is asked to talk about herself, Rack comes back to her team. Her talent is matched only by her humility. Some of that could be attributed to playing at such a high level for so long, in a sport that rarely gets much respect.
    “It’s been like that my whole life,” she said, when asked about the small crowds for women’s games. “In high school, we won three state championships, and the boys’ game was still attended by more people than our game sometimes. I think it’s just how the world is.”
    In her senior year at Franklin High School, she was named Miss Basketball for Louisiana, averaging a double-double, 25 points and 10 assists per game. LSU, Arkansas, Auburn and Mississippi State recruited her, but she narrowed her choices to MSU and Arkansas.
    “I came [to MSU] on a visit and felt at home with the team. After I came here, I canceled all my other visits. My visit to Arkansas was [supposed to be] the next week.”
    It did not take long for Rack to prove her worth to head coach Sharon Fanning-Otis, and midway through her freshman season she became a starter.
    “It was versus Arkansas, at Arkansas,” Fanning-Otis said about the 2007 game, as if it was a decision she made yesterday. “I can remember a timeout very vividly in the second half. The talk and look and getting that team together when the game was on the line and we were going to win it in the last two minutes. Just the leadership shown and the determination [impressed me].”
    On a team with several inactive seniors, Fanning-Otis spoke about the experience and leadership she relies on from Alexis.
    “You say well, we have a lot of seniors,” she said. “Who’s been in a battle? She and Ty? For four years. Now Ty’s out. You got one kid that has weathered the storms from this four year period, that knows the ins and outs of the road, and how the game’s going to be played. And that’s Rack.”
    Fanning-Otis is not the only coach to recognize Rack’s talent. Tennessee head coach Pat Summit, the winningest coach in NCAA basketball history, said she adjusted her defense the night before their meeting, partly because of the shooter who leads the NCAA in treys.
    “We played all zone today,” she said after the matchup. “After watching tape on [Rack] last night, I made up my mind that we were going to open up in zone.”
    Alexis said she has not yet decided what her plans are after graduating with her chemistry degree. She wants to attend graduate school and be a research and development chemist. However, she said she can always come back to basketball if she misses it too much.
    “Because I love it,” she said. “And you know that’s one of the ultimate goals when you start playing, to play at the highest level.”