Close Bulldog losses fans’ cross to bear for now

Another big game, another gut-wrenching close loss. As Mississippi State fans, it’s our cross to bear. Everything seemed to be setting up for a thrilling come-from-behind finish: Fletcher Cox blocked a field goal, Arceto Clark made a diving fourth-down catch to keep the drive alive, Chris Relf hit Leon Berry in the hands at the 20 yard line … well, you know the rest.
We can let the pundits talk all they want about how we’re showing improvement, how we’re on the rise, but the fact remains that we have to eventually start winning these games. By my count, this is the fourth game in the Dan Mullen era we’ve thrown away by shooting ourselves in the foot (after LSU, Georgia Tech and Houston last year). Until we actually start winning most of the big home games like this, we’re stuck in the bottom tier of the SEC.
Defense gives all
Watching the game from the stands, I didn’t feel like the defense was playing that well. Auburn, led by stud quarterback Cam Newton, seemed to be moving the ball really well, and the Bulldog’s much celebrated defensive line didn’t seem to be a huge factor, rarely recording a sack or even a quarterback hurry.
However, after some reflecting and looking over the stats, I realized I was mistaken. The defense actually played very well, holding Auburn to a good bit below its average offensive production in the Gene Chizik/Gus Malzahn era, and even shutting the Tigers out in the second half.
Sure, Cam Newton made some big plays, but when it was time for the defense to step up and make a play, it did. Although the defense certainly bent, it did not break, and it put the offensive in a position to steal a win at the end. There’s not much more we can ask of the Bulldog defense.
Offense still stalls
I think every MSU fan was hoping that the outstanding first game against Memphis, in which Relf and Tyler Russell combine for 20 completions in 25 attempts for 372 yards and five touchdowns, was more than just the result of a terrible Memphis defense. Sure enough, against Auburn, the pair combined for a more down-to-Earth total of 16-of-35 for 129 yards and one touchdown.
However, the Bulldog receivers simply did not play up to their potential. Berry, Chad Bumphis and Brandon Heavens (who are arguably good enough to play in the regular receiver rotation at any of the 12 SEC schools) combined for a measly 7 catches for 40 yards. All three of them had notable drops. Maybe the balls weren’t always perfectly on target, but SEC starting receivers have to be able to catch balls that hit them in the hands.
And no, I’m not blaming the whole game on Berry’s heart-breaking drop in the final minute. If our receivers played at the level they’re capable of the whole game, the Bulldogs win comfortably and in high spirits.
Schedule
I said before the season that it all hinges on the Auburn game. With the loss, the Bulldogs now find themselves behind the 8-ball. If the team can’t split these next two against LSU and Georgia, it will probably struggle to reach a bowl. Sure, the team will almost certainly beat Alcorn State and UAB and likely be favored against Kentucky, but where are the rest of the wins going to come from?
Auburn may be a better team than we realize now, and I’m not counting the Bulldogs out of either of the next two games, but if the team can’t win one of those, we’re probably looking at having to win at both Houston and Ole Miss to sneak into a bowl.