Ring responsibly for God, pride, opportunity, toilets

I’m not Dan Mullen. I’m not Scott Stricklin. And I’m certainly no Whit Waide.

Those men are all successful and well-liked for what they do, and they are professionals in their field who are much older than me, especially Stricklin.
However, there is something all four of us have in common: cowbells and opportunity. Mississippi State gave all of us an opportunity to do something we love, and we all show our appreciation in a similar fashion: ringing our cowbells.
Mullen says he will be forever thankful to MSU for providing him the opportunity to be a head coach for the first time. When he was introduced as a Dawg — Bulldog, that is — his first message was this; “Bring ‘em and ring ‘em.”
Scott Stricklin walked into the MSU Athletic Department on his first day of school many moons ago (OK, he’s not actually that old), and he spent the rest of his college years working hard for the Bulldogs. Who knew that later in life he would run the whole show. When he finally got his dream job, task No. 1 for the new Athletic Director was to make sure the Bulldog faithful could ring their cowbells in [relative] peace.
As for Waide, I barely know where to start on the history of The People’s Professor, who is from nearby West Point. What I do know is MSU gave him the opportunity to do something he loves: help others learn.
Waide is not just a teacher who recites facts and dates. He is a former lawyer who wants students to think on their own, and he teaches them how to do that, along with a bit about the government.
Above all, Waide loves Mississippi State, and he recognizes the cowbell as more than a unique way of making noise. He knows the cowbell represents our very heritage as Bulldogs. It represents over a century of Bulldogs, Maroons and Aggies who gave everything to their university and received even more in return. True Maroon is not a T-shirt or an ad on the Jumbrotron. Whit Waide is True Maroon.
As for me, I owe Mississippi State my life. My parents met, got married and subsequently taught on the campus I now roam. Since I could walk I’ve been ringing a cowbell. The campus looks a bit different than it did 23 years ago, but I’m here now in the final year of a journey that started at birth. MSU has given me many things, and among them is hope for a future. I came to college, learned a craft and honed my skills. The jury is still out on how good I am at anything I do, but, whether I fly high or fall flat on my face, Mississippi State gave me the opportunity to try, and that’s all I can ask for.
For that, I will ring responsibly.
God would want you to ring responsibly
I’d like to give a shout to Dr. James Codling and my homies in his 3:30 Monday/Wednesday Intro to Religion class. He helped me realize something when, on separate occasions, he said, “The problem with religious law is, if you give people an inch, they’ll take a mile,” and when discussing cowbells, “The SEC is God.” He’s right.
Cowbells are like sex. One of the first things God said was, “Go forth and multiply.” However, he added a qualifier and said, “But only when you’re married.” Similarly, the SEC said, “Go forth and ring your cowbell, but only during pre-game, post-game, halftime, timeouts and after scores.”
The SEC gave us an inch (I’m trying to keep a straight face here), don’t take the mile. God would want you to ring responsibly.
Do it for the A-A-A-A-A-Alcohol, baby
OK, if you won’t ring responsibly because you don’t care about the cowbell, then do it for this reason: you’ll lose the booze. If MSU security is forced in the future to search thoroughly for cowbells — and trust me, they will. There will be no wink-and-nod treatment like the old days — they will find more than the instruments of clang. They’ll find your flask, too.
I’m told college students like to drink, and I would hate for you and future generations of stand-up scholars to have to attend games sober and drink stadium cups full of nothing but Diet Coke and ice.
Grow up, have some pride
It’s easy to sit back and whine about the SEC. “This is dumb.” “It’s nowhere near as loud as Alabama’s stadium even with cowbells.” “The SEC is out to get us.” All of those things may — or may not — be true, but guess what? It doesn’t matter. No amount of complaining will change the situation. Following the rules will change the situation. Don’t be a child and quit just because you’re mad or frustrated. I apologize for the cheesy saying here, but if you play the hand you’re dealt, you might just win the pot.
Look, outside the borders of the great state of Mississippi, MSU football is known for two things: cowbells and Dan Mullen. One of those will likely be gone in three years, and if we don’t ring responsibly, both will be.
If you think I’m wrong and believe Mullen is here to stay, then you better start ringing and yelling when that handy little sign on the upper right hand corner of the Jumbotron tells you to. Every time MSU gets fined, that’s less money Stricklin has to give the face of Bulldog football when another school comes calling, and there will certainly be plenty who buzz Mullen’s cell phone and set off his  “I’m too sexy for my shirt” ringtone (OK, I made that up) if he keeps winning like he is now.
The money is not just for Mullen, either. Gentlemen, if you ring your cowbell all willy-nilly like an idiot whenever you want, then don’t complain about urinating in a trough at football games. Stricklin would love to get you a proper toilet, but if you keep getting him fined, he won’t have the money for it.