MSU participates in first Egg Ball

On Friday, the Mississippi State University Social Science Research Center will host the first Egg Ball to benefit the Mississippi KIDS COUNT program.
Scheduled for 8 p.m. to midnight, the event will take place in the club level of Davis Wade Stadium and will feature live entertainment from the King Beezof Memphis, hors d’oeuvres and silent and live auctions for guests to enjoy.
 Linda Southward, coordinator for the Mississippi KIDS COUNT Program and research professor for the MSU Social Science Research Center, said another unique aspect of the evening will be the crowning of an Egg Ball King and Queen by the individual who bids the highest for the right to name the king and queen.
The two individuals who are selected will receive a special crown in the shape of the Egg Bowl trophy, which is usually presented to the winner at the end of the bowl game.
“Because we have such an outstanding array of items, some of the more unique items will be featured at the live auction, but the majority will be at the silent auction online,” Southward explained.
The online auction is currently open for bids and will close at 11 p.m. on Thursday.
Southward said the Egg Ball was intended to be an extension of family tailgates held by fans that got together several years ago before the highly-anticipated Egg Bowl, which pits MSU against its in-state rival, Ole Miss.
“After observing these fans, Mississippi KIDS COUNT approached them to see what they thought of the possibility of putting the idea of their pre-game celebration in the spotlight as a major fundraiser, and they agreed. This allowed us to begin a new tradition, and I encourage everyone to come be a part of it,” she said.
According to its mission statement, the Mississippi KIDS COUNT program, which is supported in part by the Annie E. Casey Foundation, is the leading resource for comprehensive information on Mississippi’s children and serves as a catalyst for improving outcomes for children, families and communities in the areas of child safety, education, economic well-being and health.
Southward said the program will hold a summit on Feb. 3 in Jackson to address education, specifically early care in education, literacy, graduation rates and healthy schools.
Although the Egg Ball will be based here at MSU, she views the event and the efforts of those involved as beneficial on an even broader scale.
“We also want to reach out to Ole Miss and the people in Oxford. Even though the ball is based here at the MSU Social Science Research Center, it is a research project and program that we hope will reach throughout all of the state of Mississippi, and we’re very enthusiastic about it,” she said.
Southward said there are two ticket options available for those interested in attending.
“Individual tickets are $60 per person in order to attend just the Egg Ball, and then there is a $100 per person option, which includes a ticket to the Egg Ball, a ticket for the bus ride to the Egg Bowl in Oxford and a boxed lunch,” she said.
Tickets are available for purchase at eggball.eventbrite.com.
Southward said she would like to encourage MSU fans who will be attending the men’s basketball game against Troy University at 6 p.m. on Friday to also consider coming to what she is sure will be a very wonderful evening.
“This will be the first of many Egg Balls to come, a new tradition we are hoping to start here at Mississippi State. Rain or shine, the Egg Bowl continues on every year, so we hope the Egg Ball will do the same,” she said.
Sheila Rees, owner of Kate Rees, LLC, who will be donating personalized MSU luggage and children’s clothing for the Egg Ball auction, said she is very excited for the event.
“My husband, who played football for State, and I are both graduates of MSU, and my daughter and her boyfriend will be coming in for the game. They are very excited to be able to come and see what southern tailgating is all about,” she said.
For a full listing of items available for the silent and live auctions and for more information about the Egg Ball or Mississippi KIDS COUNT program, visit eggballauction.com, Facebook: “Egg Ball-Starkville” or call 325-1590.