Committee announces Old Main festival line up

Amos Lee.
    Amos Lee.

Amos Lee and Trey Songz will headline the Old Main Music Festival after the Maroon and White spring game during Super Bulldog Weekend.
    Amos Lee’s eponymous debut album from Blue Note Records appeared in 2005. Since then, he has released two other albums and has toured the country with artists like Norah Jones, Bob Dylan and Elvis Costello. He is known for his song “Colors” which appeared on popular television shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” and “House” as well as the Reese Witherspoon movie “Just Like Heaven.”
    Trey Songz debuted his first album I Gotta Make It in 2005. Since then, he has earned two Grammy nominations; he was nominated in 2008 for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance and in 2010 for Best Contemporary R&B Album. Ready, his newest album, was released last September.
    Samantha Musil, assistant director of the Colvard Student Union and adviser to both the Campus Activities Board and Music Maker Productions, said she was excited to have Old Main on Super Bulldog Weekend again because it was very successful last year.
    Musil said the students involved in choosing the artists took their job seriously.
    “The student leaders are very conscious of trying to chose a variety of artists that will appeal to a diverse group of people,” she said.
    Musil said the selection of artists was limited by the budget and who is available during Super Bulldog Weekend.
    Senior broadcast communication major DeJanae Banks, CAB student director, said the committee, made up of CAB, Student Association and Music Maker Productions, worked hard to bring the artists to campus.
    “It took a lot of planning this year for the committee. [The committee] believes these artists best reach the diverse student body,” she said.
    Senior aerospace engineer major Philip Vanderleest, student director of Music Makers, said the committee got together last semester to begin brainstorming bands.
    “We wanted to cover all MSU students’ musical interests,” he said. “Both bands represent what students want to see in this type of seeing.”
    Vanderleest said Lee has a more mellow-rock sound and will bring great love and sing-along songs to the festival. Songz, on the other hand, he said, will cover the dance-along portion of the night.
    Although artists of the similar genres have played during the music festival in previous years, Banks said she believes Lee and Songz will bring a distinctive sound to the festival.
    “They have a different sound. [The artists] will bring their own unique sound and personality with them,” she said.
    Vanderleest said last year will be a tough act to follow but believes it is possible to have a great concert this year.
    “With alumni and student participation, I believe we can top last year,” he said.
    Banks said the priority of the concert is the MSU students, though they also encourage fans in Starkville to come.
    She also said the concert, as well as all of Super Bulldog Weekend, is used as a recruiting tool for future Bulldogs.
    The concert will feature more than Lee and Songz; there will also be a local and touring opener.
    The local opener will be the winner of CAB’s Battle of the Band competition on March 4. The touring opener will be part of Lee’s opening acts during his national tour.
    The Old Main Music Festival is free and will take place in the Amphitheater on April 17 at 7 p.m. Super Bulldog Weekend will take place April 16-18th.
    For more information about Super Bulldog Weekend visit msstateathletics.com.