Lyceum to host Russian strings

The third installment of this year’s Lyceum Series features Chamber Orchestra Kremlin, a string ensemble from Russia. The program includes pieces by Elgar, Shostakovich, Bach and Dvorak.
    The show on Feb. 15 at 7:30 p.m. will be open to the public in Lee Hall’s Bettersworth Auditorium.
    The orchestra, made up of Russia’s finest virtuosos, was founded in 1991 by its music director, Misha Rachlevsky. The 16-member string ensemble has four sections: cello, double bass, viola and violin.
    During the past 19 years, the group has toured the world, from Russia, their home country, to North and South America, Korea and China. This will be their first performance at MSU and their 25th tour of the United States since 1995.
    Rachlevsky said the ensemble has just arrived in the States and is adjusting to the tour.
    “I doubt [the orchestra] could share any reflections on [the 2010 tour] at this moment – we arrived on Wednesday night, on Thursday went to Temple, TX for a workshop with the local youth orchestra and in the evening had a rehearsal with the soloist for [Friday’s] concert in Dallas. The weather here is a lot friendlier than in Moscow now.” Rachlevsky said.
    They have recorded over 30 CDs, including many award-winners. Their latest release, “A Road Less Traveled,” features the works of Franz Joseph Haydn. Recordings of previous live performances will also be available at Monday’s concert. Their Web site, chamberorchestrakremlin.ru/indexorch.htm, offers more in-depth information about Rachlevsky and Chamber Orchestra Kremlin.
    Chamber Orchestra Kremlin posters can be seen by the dozen. Most of the instructors have one on each of their doors and some have gone so far as to highlight the portion that states, “MSU Students FREE with ID” with the addition of their own comments such as Dr. James Sobaskie’s “DO NOT MISS THIS” in bold. But the music department is not the only place where anticipation of Monday’s concert is building. Tyler Trimm, graduate student and teaching assitant in the English department said he believes it is important for students to attend.
    “I think it’s great that our students have the opportunity to hear such a prestigious group of musicians, it promises to be a real cultural experience. A friend of mine has seen Chamber Orchestra Kremlin before and he said it was quite impressive to hear them live, they’re very passionate performers,” he said.
    Keith Bigger, graduate assistant with the Lyceum Series, said he encourages students to arrive early.
    He said MSU students will be admitted for free as long as seats are available. Doors will open 30 minutes before the performance begins.
    All other tickets may also be purchased at the door: $15 for adult, senior citizen, 65 and over by request, and MSU faculty staff tickets are $12 and children accompanied by an adult are $8.