Saints’ Super dream depends on Manning

When the New Orleans Saints meet the Indianapolis Colts in Super Bowl XLIV this Sunday, the game’s outcome will rest on the shoulders of Peyton Manning.
    Manning comes into the biggest game of the year as the guy who has been there before. He is a Super Bowl champion and game MVP, and the only man in NFL history to be name MVP four times, breaking Brett Favre’s record of three. In this most recent MVP season, Manning, nicknamed the “field general,” threw 33 touchdown passes while throwing for 4500 yards, completing 68.8 percent of his passes. To steal a line from former Arizona Cardinals head coach Dennis Green, Peyton Manning is who we thought he was.
    Enter Drew Brees. The once-unwanted free agent from Purdue enters the Super Bowl on the train that is the New Orleans Saints, a team riding through the season on miracle fourth quarter comebacks, an offense with deadly rhythm, a stout defense and a city and fan base that worships its franchise. If you do not believe me, just look around. In New Orleans, students are turning in their homework with “Who Dat!” scribbled in next to their names. A few days ago, in a class here at MSU, a group of students were asked to come up with the ten most credible people they could think of. Two of their first answers? Saints head coach Sean Payton and Drew Brees.
    Their excitement is understandable. Led by Brees, a stable of backs and receivers, and All-Pro safety Darren Sharper, the Saints and their fans can finally laugh at the days when they were commonly called the New Orleans “Ain’ts.” And they have been laughing, cheering, and crying all the way through a 13-3 record, amidst the shouts of “Who Dat!” and the Super Dome speakers blaring “Stand Up and Get Crunk,” courtesy of the Ying Yang Twins.
    Everyone believes this is the Saints’ season. It is their year, their time to shine, which is why Peyton Manning will decide the outcome of the game.
    It will all come down to whether or not his football mind will be able to dissect the Saints defense, and get around Sharper, who has nine interceptions this year; three of them returned for touchdowns. Linebackers Scott Shanle and Jonathan Vilma each have multiple interceptions on the year, and both will be following Manning’s eyes the whole game.
    The Saints come into this game with more momentum and excitement than any team in America. They are in the Super Bowl because they believe they are destined to be there, which is why it is up to Manning to get his teammates to see through his eyes.
    Peyton Manning knows how good the Colts are. He knows that he is tearing up defenses better than ever in his twelfth NFL season. He knows that no team has been able to stop All-Pro tight end Dallas Clark. And, he knows that if the New Orleans secondary focuses on leading receiver Reggie Wayne, rookie Austin Collie will be ready to take over the game just as he did in the AFC championship.
    The Saints know how important Manning is to the Colts. Just ask defensive coordinator Gregg Williams who said he hopes if knocked down, Manning will not be able to get back up and play the game.
    It is a task easier said than done, as the Colts offensive line have been the unsung heroes of their season. Led by center Jeff Saturday, the unit only gave up 13 sacks all year with Manning sacked only 10 times. After Gregg Williams’ comments and support from his Saints defense, expect the Colts lineman to play with a little more passion in order to protect their quarterback.
    Peyton will need it. Only If protected can the 4-time MVP use his well-documented film studying and knowledge of the game to carve up the Saints secondary and possibly silence the “Who Dat!” chants stretching along the entire Gulf coast.