Textbook policy approved Thursday

Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees approved textbook policy Thursday. Outgoing Student Association President Blake Jeter said everything went great at the IHL meeting Thursday and said it feels good to have the proposal passed because it has been one of the SA’s initiatives.
    “It is our goal to have it implemented by summer,” he said.
    Jeter said he encourages students to sell back their books as soon as they can so more used books will be on the market.
    “Students should also look for the ISBN numbers online by registration time so they can do their shopping,” Jeter said.
    Associate Provost for Academic Affairs Jerry Gilbert said he has received some feedback about the textbook proposal, but not an overwhelming amount. He said some faculty have expressed concern that it may be difficult to comply with the multiple-year adoption guidelines if publishers are going to change editions frequently.
    “They [the concerned faculty] have been reassured that this will not be a problem because the policy does allow for approved exceptions,” Gilbert said.
    Assistant professor of communication Pete Smith said he thinks it is important for professors to be accountable for getting their orders or adoptions in on time as well as searching for cost-efficient ways to get information to students, but he is concerned about the textbook companies being held accountable.
    “That is the bind I feel like many of us professors are in because if the textbook policy holds, we have to keep a textbook for three years, but what or who’s to stop a textbook company from publishing a new edition and taking the old edition out of circulation,” Smith said. “We will be caught in the middle: having to adopt a new textbook that we don’t feel is necessary at that point.”
    Smith said textbook costs are astronomical and with tuition continually increasing, he understands parents and students cannot afford to pay the increases of both.
    “I think most of the professors on this campus are very aware of the current needs of students and what they are facing in buying a textbook that cost $200, but I’m not sure the publishers are really aware of what this is doing to parents and students,” Smith said.
    Smith also explained professors can only do so much to control the cost of textbooks like getting their adoptions in on time.
    “There are things to hold professors accountable and the university accountable, but there is nothing there to really help keep an eye on these large conglomerate textbook corporations,” Smith said. “There needs to be a conversation about what can be done at the other end to make sure the textbook companies are doing what needs to be done, and we need to make sure the publishers are really in on that conversation.”
    Smith also said he is OK with the adoption deadlines, and he does not think they are too strenuous.
    “I understand that the bookstore is under deadlines themselves and they’ve got to get in their orders to have a sufficient supply for the students,” Smith said. “I think it keeps us professors on our toes.”
    Though there is some mixed feedback from professors, Gilbert said he has heard positive feedback from students.
    “My impression from a few students’ comments is that this will be a very positive step in helping reduce textbook costs,” he said. “Stabilization or reduction of the cost of textbooks is certainly something that all of us would like to see happen.”
    Gilbert said his office has begun a discussion with the Faculty Senate and various administrators about how to proceed with the implementation of the policy.
    “A formal policy at MSU will have to be in place by June 1, 2010, according to the proposed policy at IHL,” Gilbert said.
    Smith said as far as implementing the policy changes, he thinks if everyone holds up their end of the bargain, it might go quiet smoothly.
    “We do need to be more diligent about getting our orders in,” Smith said. “We do need to find cost-efficient methods of putting textbook type material in the classroom.”
    He said if passed, there will not be much impact on students this semester, but students will start to notice the first stages of the policy going into effect in the fall.
    “At the time of registering for the spring 2011 classes, the ISBN numbers for textbooks and prices will be available for review, Gilbert said. “Also, all textbooks will be assigned by registration time for the next semester.”
    Smith said he does not know whether it will be helpful to students, but he knows it is a good step because at least people are talking about the situation.
    “At least we are all sitting down at the table together and trying to get something done,” he said. “That is a positive step that hasn’t been done in the past.”
    Gilbert said there will be some method in the fall for students to be surveyed about the textbooks used in their classes.
    “The results of the textbook surveys will be made available to students and faculty,” Gilbert said.
    IHL Director of Media Relations Leah Rupp Smith said the policy would immediately go into effect once passed.
    “We have gotten feedback from our SGA presidents and some legislators; all very positive,” Rupp Smith said.