Starkville, MSU collect donations for relief

Mississippi State University students, faculty and staff displaced by last weeks apartment fire find comfort in the donations and kindness of the Starkville community and Bulldog family.
    The fire on April 6, which destroyed three apartment buildings, is believed to have been caused by a cigarette thrown into the dry landscaping by building 19 of Crossgates apartments. No one was hurt, and no pets were lost during the fire.
    Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman said the Oktibbeha County Chapter of the American Red Cross is coordinating the relief effort for the victims.
    “Donations can be made to the Red Cross at the Red Cross office, the Starkville Daily News and City Hall,” he said. “Anyone wishing to make a donation needs to indicate that it is for the victims of the Crossgates fire.”
    Oktibbeha Country Red Cross Director Becky Wilkes said Red Cross has helped approximately 50 people who were affected by last week’s fire.
    “We provided relief during the first 72 hours – a debit card for food and clothes and a place to stay,” she said. We also provided “comfort kits” – a bag with toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant, etc. in it.”
    Wilkes said long term assistance for the fire victims comes from other agencies.
    “Most students found friends they could move in with ’til the end of the semester,” she said. “A lot of citizens offered rooms, too.”
    Student Association President Thomas Sellers said it is very important for MSU students to participate and donate if they are able.
    “During this time when so many people have lost everything, it is important for each of us to help out in anyway possible,” he said. “Whether that is by giving money or clothes or even gift cards for meals, it is important to do all that we can to help others.”
    Wilkes said she encourages students to donate because it could easily have been them in this situation.
    She said students can donate even if they are short on money by helping with fundraising drives or volunteering to work in the Red Cross office – if class hours permit. Wilkes also mentioned Applebee’s is planning a benefit pancake breakfast for the Red Cross on Saturday from 7 to 10 a.m.
    “Tickets are $5 and will help us raise the money we need for this event,” Wilkes said. “Volunteers are collecting money at Piggly Wiggly this weekend – if you can’t do anything else, you can hold a bucket and ask for donations.”
    Communication instructor Emily Cain, whose apartment was destroyed in Tuesdays fire, said she was not able to salvage anything from her apartment during the fire.
    “My phone was on the arm of the couch, so I grabbed it and threw it in my purse, grabbed my car keys that I kept on a hook by the door, and ran out,” she said.
    Cain said she has been worried that some of the other residents may not be getting the support that she is.??
    “Being on the other side of it, I feel a little weird to say that I encourage people to give to the victims, but it does help so very much,” Cain said. “I don’t think you realize the enormous impact something like this has unless you’ve experienced it.”
    Wilkes said the outpouring of support has been tremendous.
    “We have people offering furniture, clothes, food to the victims,” she said. “People have opened their homes to the victims.”
    Wilkes said it is gratifying to be a part of the response to this disaster, and people in Starkville and at MSU have been wonderful to work with.
    “Bill Broyles of MSU was on the scene with us and was tremendous to work with,” Wilkes said. “Both the fire departments and the police departments should be commended for their response.”
    Cain said she has been offered tons of help from people in her department, current and former students and complete strangers.
    “They have offered spare bedrooms, furniture, storage space for anything I receive before I get a new place – you name it, they’ve offered it,” she said. “I’ve already gotten cash, tons of gift cards, toiletries, clothes and more.”
    Cain said when she was walking around looking at the damage Wednesday afternoon, a complete stranger came up to her with his little girl and said his six-year-old daughter wanted to know if she could do anything to help her.
    “He was a little choked up when he asked, and of course I practically collapsed in tears,” Cain said. “It was so incredibly kind … they left saying that they’d keep me in their prayers, and I don’t even know them.”
    Cain explained that a student’s friend also offered her a laptop, and a student’s sister, whom she had never met before, brought her things like face soap and lotions.
    “It has been such a blessing,” Cain said. “Several times I’ve just sat back in amazement.”
    Cain said being at work has helped her retain some normalcy back into her life.
    “Of course, office time is spent chatting with people and reading the sweetest messages, so I’m not getting much accomplished, but I’d have it no other way,” she said. “That’s exactly what has made this so much easier to deal with.”?
    Cain said people have been unbelievably supportive.
    “I’ve cried at the nice things people have done for me much more than I’ve cried about my apartment being destroyed … and I’m not a crying person,” Cain said. “It’s just simply amazing what people will do.”
    Vice President for Student Affairs Bill Kibler said the university has offered housing in the residence halls for the remainder of the semester at no cost for students that were displaced by the fire. Kibler also said faculty housing has been offered to faculty or staff displaced but did not know if anyone had taken advantage of that.
    “The Student Association, Student Affairs, the Athletic Department and the MSU Foundation are all collaborating on methods for donations to be collected for the MSU Relief Fund that can be used to provide assistance to those impacted by the fire,” he said. “The Dean of Students Office is coordinating the provision of funds to those in need.”
    Kibler said, according to the occupancy report from Crossgates, there were 15 students and four faculty or staff that were displaced by the fire.
    “Some of the students are in the residence halls, while others are apparently staying with friends in the community,” Kibler said. “The Red Cross placed some folks in local hotels, but I am not certain if those were faculty or staff.”
    Sellers said Mississippi State campus organizations did a tremendous job responding to such an event. Sellers explained on Wednesday morning there was a meeting with representatives from the Division of Student Affairs, MSU Foundation, Athletic Department and the Student Association.
    “We came together to establish and promote the MSU Relief Fund,” Sellers said. “This is a fund that is through the Foundation that allows us to help those member of the bulldog family that have been effected.”
    Wiseman said everyone he has come into contact with in the community is touched personally by this event.
    “When members of our community are suffering, it is important that we heed the call to aid them through their time of need,” he said.