Hobo Hippie opens Old Main with varied sound

Hobo Hippie, winner of the MSU Battle of the Bands, will be the opening act for the Old Main Music Festival.
    The band consists of Justin Parker, Trevor McKay, Gavin McGee and Jason Box. The members met each other at a golf tournament in Fulton where their fathers played music together after the tournament.
    Lead singer and Mississippi State graduate Justin Parker said the band’s foundation is from the support and influence of their parents.
    “I think one thing that had a huge effect on us getting started was our parents. All of our fathers were in fairly successful bands at one time or another, so we grew up in great a music environment,” he said. “All four of us have played the bar scene for around 10 years with a variety of different bands. Hobo Hippie was formed in June 2009 after we had all found somewhat of a standstill in our music. After the first practice, we heard something that we liked and haven’t let up yet.”
    Lead guitarist Trevor McKay also said their parents’ influence was a huge part of the band.
    “My dad is reason I play the guitar. He never pushed me or anything – he always had a guitar lying around,” he said.
    Hobo Hippie won the Battle of the Bands, which took place at Rick’s Cafe in Starkville. McKay said that winning was unlike anything he has experienced.
    “Battle of the Bands was a brand new experience for me- we drew the first slot and were right on,” he said. “After the performance, we [the band members] all looked at each other and said ‘Hey that felt good. Everyone else better bring their A-game to top that.'”
    Parker said with their musical influences ranging from Jimi Hendrix to John Mayer, Hobo Hippie is unlike anything listeners have previously heard.
    “I think we are different than other bands because of the different genres of music backgrounds we have all come from. It would be very hard to pin us down to one genre, especially in our original songs,” he said.
    “We have some rock, country and alternative pretty much all mixed into one.”
    Parker said that the members chose the name Hobo Hippie to appeal to a variety of ages.
    “We felt like Hobo Hippie fit the college scene along with people that grew up in the ’70s and such. As far as a specific meaning, it has none. We just thought it was cool,” he said.
    Parker said the music and lyrics of Hobo Hippie are relatable to everyone.
    “Our songs are based on experiences that everyone can relate to at least one time or another in their lives,” he said. “Even though the stories in our songs may not be the exact story of someone’s life or situation, we really set a goal to grab people’s attention with them hoping they are thinking ‘Man, I have been there before.'”
    Ryan McCarthy, senior chemical engineering major, said he is looking forward to seeing Hobo Hippie’s performance at the Old Main Music Festival.
    “Hobo Hippie brings a lot of energy with some awesome rock and country cover songs that gets everybody’s feet moving,” he said.
    Hobo Hippie will be recording a CD in the near future.