Saturday Old Main concert to feature diverse musicians

While the primary focus on Super Bulldog Weekend is sports, there is an on campus option for any who might not be interested in athletics – Old Main Music Festival.
    This year’s festival features four artists: headliners Trey Songz and Amos Lee, and performances from Hobo Hippie and Megan McCormick. The festival begins at 7 p.m. in the Amphitheater and is free to the public.
    Music Makers student director Philip Vanderleest said the festival, which has been a Mississippi State staple for years, does not always fall on Super Bulldog Weekend. An Old Main committee, consisting of representatives from Music Makers, Campus Activities Board and the Student Association, looked over the spring semester weekends to determine the optimal date for the festival, Vanderleest said.
    “[This year] Super Bulldog Weekend just seems to be the best weekend to have it,” he said. “[It’s] definitely the biggest weekend of the spring [athletic event-wise] and biggest concert of the spring.”
    Samantha Musil, assistant director of the Colvard Student Union and adviser to CAB and Music Makers, said the Old Main committee selected this year’s artists based on students’ interests. Musil, who also serves as a non-voting member on the committee, said the group debated between a double-headliner and a single headliner show.
    “You can appeal to a wider variety of students and wider variety of musical tastes [with double-headlining artists],” she said.
    Earlier in the semester, CAB surveyed students about their musical tastes to help get a feel for student interests, Musil said.
    “[One thing] we were trying to determine was if students would be willing to pay [for Old Main], but for numerous reasons, we decided not to do that,” she said.
    Thomas Sellers, SA president and Old Main committee member, said the group had the survey results in front of them as they discussed possible acts.
    “The reason we did the survey is because we’re here to provide talent and entertainment to the student body,” he said. “If we’re not reaching out to the student voice, then we’re not doing our job.”
    Vanderleest said the committee considered student feedback and specifically used it to select Lee and Songz.
    Lee, a mellow-rock/pop musician, released his first album in 2005 and has had songs in television shows like “Grey’s Anatomy” and “House.” Some have described him as a trendy artist for college students, but Vanderleest said Lee’s appeal is broader than the college scene.
    “He has a large fan base. He appeals to all kinds of people, older and younger, [different] races and backgrounds,” Vanderleest said. “Just him [alone] would be an awesome show that does represent the Mississippi State students’ music interests well.”
    R&B/rap artist Songz, known for his singles “Say Aah” and “Neighbors Know My Name,” has been nominated for two Grammys since his 2005 debut.
    Vanderleest said part of the reason for bringing Songz was to obtain an on-the-rise artist.
    “We really wanted a ‘now’ act, someone who is on the radio, up and coming,” he said. “He has songs that are hot right now, [songs] on the radio. He wasn’t just going to be a no-name artist – he’s working his way up. A year ago, no one had heard of him.”
    As winner of the CAB’s Battle of the Bands in March, Hobo Hippie won the opportunity to open the festival at 7 p.m.
    Singer/songwriter and guitarist Megan McCormick will follow at 7:50 p.m. Lee and Songz will begin at 8:50 p.m. and 10:15 p.m., respectively.
    SA Vice President Rhett Hobart said music will begin immediately following the end of the Maroon and White game.
    “It is going to be something where we hope as people leave the game, they will hear the live music and head over to the Amphitheater for the night,” he said.