Looking for improvement, football starts spring practice

Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen grabbed a mic at the conclusion of the 2009 Egg Bowl and told the Scott Field faithful that, contrary to what some around the state were saying, his program was on the rise.
    Now it’s time to start proving it.
    The Bulldogs are set to begin spring practice on March 23, working out the maximum 15 practices allowed by the NCAA leading up to the annual Maroon-White Spring Game on April 17.
    Junior defensive back Charles Mitchell said they were ready to get started and, coming off the big win against Ole Miss, had the momentum to hit the ground running.
    “It gave us a lot of confidence, you know,” he said. “I felt real good about it after the win. The team felt good, and we came in day one ready to work and get back at it.”
    Senior linebacker K.J. Wright agreed and said the team learned something about each other.
    “When you end it like that, you know what you’re capable of,” he said. “And you know what kind of team you are.”
    Junior offensive lineman Quentin Saulsberry said the win was a platform to build on.
    “It makes it real easy, because we have something to build on to,” he said. “We know what to expect out of each other with that, and we seen a lot of things at the Ole Miss game that we hadn’t seen in each other. Because I have seen a new side of myself and a new side of my teammates. We can build on that.”
    Saulsberry smiled as he explained the new attitude he and his teammates took into the offseason.
    “I saw a mean streak in myself,” he said with a laugh. “Everybody says I’m just nice and humble and all that. It’s nothing wrong with being nice and humble, in life in general. But any job you have, you gotta attack it with relentless effort.”
    Attack seems to be a key term this spring, as two new assistant coaches take over the Bulldog defense. Senior defensive lineman Pernell McPhee said new defensive line coach Chris Wilson has told his players that they will be more aggressive this season.
    “Coach told us not to think about reading and attack, he told us to attack and then read,” he said. “So we aren’t worried about blocking. If blockers get in our way, the first thing we do is run straight through ’em. So that’s the main thing that we focus on now is learning new steps. So as we get off on the ball, that’s about it. Simple football.”
    Another question to be answered this spring is how to rebuild a running game that lost several key seniors such as Christian Ducré, Arnil Stallworth and most notably, all-time rushing touchdown and yards leader Anthony Dixon.
    Wright said those are big shoes to fill, but there are talented players ready to take their shot.
    “Well you know when we lost A.D., that’s a big loss,” he said. “But we’ve got some speed backs, and guys like LaDarius Perkins, Rob Eliot, those guys are expected to step up.”
    Sophomore receiver Chad Bumphis said that, while the running backs gain experience and confidence, he expects the receivers to take up the slack.
    “I think we’re going to have to throw a bit more,” he said. “Without those three running backs I think it’s gonna change our game a whole lot, just change it all around.”
    Also potentially up for grabs is the quarterback position.
    Junior quarterback Chris Relf said he has been working on his accuracy in the offseason, and competition for the spot with sophomore Tyler Russell will push both to improve.
    “I think the guy who works the hardest should get it,” Relf said. “But [the competition is] great, because it’s gonna make me better, you know. And I’m gonna make him better.”