Parsons dance troupe pirouettes onto stage

The world-renowned dance company, Parsons Dance, will bring its contemporary and classic artistry from the stages of the Big Apple to Mississippi State University’s Bettersworth Auditorium.
    Parsons Dance, the fifth performance in the 2009-10 MSU Lyceum Series, will perform at 7:30 p.m. on Wednesday.
    Parsons Dance is a company with 10 full-time dancers who perform the choreographed works of David Parsons.
    The company’s repertoire consists of over 60 dances. The group combines the movement of modern dance with the precision and execution of classical dance.
    The company tours regionally, nationally and internationally. Many prestigious theaters and festivals around the world have hosted the group.
    This week, MSU students have the chance to see the critically acclaimed group.
    Keith Bigger, a graduate student who works with publicity for the Lyceum Series, said he is looking forward to his first experience with Parsons Dance.
    “This will be my first time to see Parsons Dance,” he said. “This performance, as well as the rest of the Lyceum Series, is a great way to interact with the MSU community and deal with different experiences.”
    Bigger said he also encourages everyone on the MSU campus to attend the event.
    “The challenge for the Lyceum Series is to get people to come because once you come and enjoy it, you’ll find yourself coming back more often,” he said.
    Daltria Li, freshman biochemistry major, said she was interested in seeing the performance.
    “I think [the Parsons Dance performance] allows a diverse group of people to interact upon a common interest. It makes our campus more involved,” she said.
    Brenda Neubauer, Lyceum Series Coordinator, said she thinks Parsons Dance will attract many students to the performance.
    “Parsons Dance has a routine that is dedicated to the music of the Dave Matthews Band – a favorite among college students,” she said. “Parsons Dance is also nationally recognized, and we believe that many students will come. We certainly think that this is a great opportunity to see a fine performance.”
    For more information about the Parsons Dance performance or the MSU Lyceum Series, call 325-4201 or visit lyceum.msstate.edu or parsonsdance.org.