Universities compete in cancer fundraiser

For the first time, Mississippi State University will be hosting a Relay for Life ceremony April 9 in The Junction.
    The American Cancer Society Relay for Life is an event that gives people across the world a time to celebrate the lives of those who have fought cancer, remember those who have lost their battle with cancer and continue to fight back against the disease.
    Relay for Life is a 12-hour event in which different teams are formed to raise money for the American Cancer Society for cancer research, support and awareness.
    MSU will be competing against Ole Miss, who will be hosting their own Relay for Life event the same night to see who can raise the most money in their own “Relay Bowl.”
    Valerie Penn, publicity co-chair of MSU Relay for Life and sophomore communication major, said the night of the event there will be a track set up for people to walk on all night.
    “The track will be lit with luminarias, white bags lit with glow sticks that have the names of cancer victims and survivors written on them,” Penn said. “These can be purchased for $10.”
    Even though the event is 12-hours long, there will be lots of things going on, Penn said.
    “We’ll have plenty of entertainment: music (bands and maybe a DJ), competitions, games, and all sorts of fun stuff to keep everyone awake,” Penn said.
    Penn said MSU and Ole Miss are the last two SEC schools to join Relay for Life, Colleges Against Cancer.
    “Our chairman is Nick Nowacki,” she said. “Nick is very passionate about this event along with the rest of our committee. We are all very excited to make Relay for Life an annual event at MSU. Our goal is to have 25 teams and raise at least $20,000.”
    Jackie Mullen, area coordinator for leadership and community development, is in charge of recruiting teams for MSU Relay for Life along with Amelia Treptow.
    “We are trying to get teams to sign up by March 5th, but people can still raise money; join Relay, and get a shirt for every $100 you raise leading up to Relay on April 9th,” Mullen said. “It is almost like a huge tailgate to show support for those who have had or are battling cancer, bring awareness and advocacy to cancer research through American Cancer Society, and a great way for student organizations and departments across campus to get involved in a great cause.”
    Jeffrey Rupp, entertainment and publicity chair for MSU Relay for Life and MSU Community Action Team member, said he got involved with MSU Relay for Life because he participated in the Columbus Relay for Life while he was its mayor.
    “Relay for Life is a very moving event as we celebrate cancer survivors and remember those who’ve succumbed to the disease,” he said. “This is the first year MSU has held a Relay for Life and I’m very impressed at the level of commitment by the students on the committee. Because of their hard work, I’m looking forward to a first-class event on campus and hope it’s the start of a new MSU tradition,” he said.
    Rupp also said MSU President Mark Keenum is very supportive of the event as well.
    The deadline for team sign-up is March 5 and can be done online at relayforlife.org/msstate, then click “sign up.”