Stay afloat in 2017 with tips for a sensational semester

Coming back to school at the beginning of a new semester means the workload for classes will start up again. Professors give out the syllabus for every class and it is time again to purchase new books for the semester. 

A new semester can bring stress to students but there are things that can be done right at the beginning that might make things easier or go a little more smoothly as the semester goes on. 

It is important to take an in-depth look at the syllabus given by professors, taking note of class policies, the books that are needed and, if the instructor provides a course calendar, important due dates and what will be covered each week in class. 

Allison Crow, a junior finance major, said she takes note of important dates as soon as she gets her syllabus for each class. 

“I bought a small planner,” Crow said, “and the second I get my syllabus, I write down the due dates in my planner for the whole semester, and I highlight the exams.” 

Planners are a way students can keep up with important dates if, for some reason, something happens to the syllabus. Most instructors post the syllabus online, so that is also an easy way to refer back to it when needed. 

Callie Hester, sophomore theatre and art major, said she does things to get organized, even though it is not her strongest suit. 

“I buy calendars, a planner, and sticky notes that I stick on my wall so I’d see them before I left for class,” Hester said. 

It is also best to take note of each professor’s office hours. Office hours come in handy when students need to speak with professors one-on-one, or if they need help with an assignment. 

Each semester brings about new classes that require various textbooks. Purchasing textbooks can be a struggle but there is more than one way to get the textbooks needed for a class. 

Books can be bought, rented, or borrowed. There are three main book stores in Starkville that sell textbooks for classes: Barnes and Noble, which is on campus, Campus Book Mart, which is right off of campus on Lee Blvd., and Campus Bookstore on Highway 12. 

Borrowing books mostly comes from having friends or peers who have taken a class before and it can save money because it is usually free to borrow and return a book from a friend. However, not everyone takes the same classes. Most students have to buy or rent their textbooks. 

It is up to a student’s personal preference whether or not to buy or rent a book. Renting is generally cheaper, but some prefer to own the books that they are using. 

Callie Hester, sophomore theatre and art major, said she does not usually rent books. 

“I usually buy them,” Hester said, “because I like to keep learning and using the books for sources and information at a later date. I don’t have to buy a lot of books as an art and theatre major, but when I do, I get them from the Campus Book Mart. They are really friendly and always helpful.”

Allison Crow, junior finance major, said she prefers to look for the best ways to save money.

“First I ask friends and sorority sisters if they’re selling any of the books I need,” Crow said. “If not, I go to Campus Bookmart/Bookstore. I rent if at all possible, because it is cheaper.”

The beginning of any semester can swarm students and have them running for the hills, but with a little planning and organization the pressure and workload can seem much more manageable.