Miss MSU 2018 looks forward to giving back

Alayna Stevens | The Reflector

Callie Brown, senior biological sciences major, was crowned Miss MSU 2018 on Friday. She will compete in Miss Mississippi in June. 

Mississippi State University Callie Brown was crowned Miss MSU 2018 on Friday.

Brad Hill, assistant director of Student Activities, praised the newly crowned Lucedale native, saying Brown has all of the qualities a Miss MSU needs. 

“A lot of the features I feel like Miss MSU needs to have are a sense of confidence, a sense of being a distinguished young woman that can represent this university well,” Hill said. “She has poise and grace, and also is a role model to young ladies her age and to younger girls.”

Hill said the winner of Miss MSU largely impacts the Starkville community.

“She goes out into elementary schools and middle schools to teach children proper dental hygiene,” Hill said. “She’s able to gain the confidence of young girls and boys.” 

Callie Brown said she has always loved Starkville because was immersed in all things MSU from a young age.

“I grew up coming here (MSU) and being involved in the Alumni association with my dad,” Brown said. “There was never really any school in mind when it came time for me to choose.”

Brown said she had an early interest in pageants, watching the televised Miss America Pageants since she was 6. 

“When I was in first grade, I told my mom I wanted to be in a pageant,” she said. “She entered me in The Cutest Munchkin Pageant. I wore a little denim jumper and my mom did my hair.”

From there, Brown said she participated in local pageants and her high school’s Miss Rebel Pageant. However, she desired a more serious pageant atmosphere with interviews and a talent portion.

“I competed in National American Miss Mississippi for my age division, and I actually won,” Brown said. “Then we ended up going to Los Angeles to compete in the national pageant. It was a great experience that really gave me the spark that I needed to keep going.”

She went on to win Miss Maroon and White her freshman year and competed in the Miss MSU pageant, winning second alternate.

Brown said winning the Miss MSU pageant this year marked a culmination of one of her lifelong dreams.

“It’s such an honor, such a privilege, and I really look forward to serving Mississippi State,” Brown said. “I feel like Mississippi State has given me so much throughout the years and I look forward to giving back.”

She will serve the Starkville community by increasing the awareness of the importance of dental hygiene in children, through her platform “America’s Tooth Fairy.” 

“It’s a nationwide platform started by the National Children’s Oral Health Foundation,” Brown said. “The goal of America’s Tooth Fairy is to end childhood tooth decay.”

As a senior biological science major with a pre-dental concentration and a love for working with children, Brown said this platform is a perfect fit. 

“I saw the need for an educational program like this,” Brown said. “It gave me the opportunity to really make an impact and make my mark.”

Brown is also anticipating her next pageant, Miss Mississippi, where she will compete against winners from other Mississippi colleges, such as the University of Mississippi, University of Southern Mississippi and Delta State University.

The 2018 Miss Mississippi pageant will be from June 20 to 23 at the Vicksburg Convention Center.