Mr. MSU: Nick Harris’ dream is now a reality

Russ Houston | Mississippi State University Office of Public Affairs

(photo by Russ Houston / © Mississippi State University)

After a long time spent aiming to represent his university as Mr. MSU, Nicholas Harris has finally succeeded. 
“I am truly honored and grateful,” Harris said. “For the last year and a half, I have dreamed about what it would be like to be Mr. MSU, and now, it is a reality.” 
Harris truly embodies what it means to be an accomplished student and an excellent representative of the university. Though Harris is originally from Millington, Alabama, he said he chose to come to Mississippi State University because he wanted to branch out and do something different.
As a freshman, Harris applied for the MSU Student Association but was rejected. Not one to be deterred, Harris pushed forward and continued to put himself out there.
Now, serving as the Chief of Staff for the MSU Student Association, he serves as the leader of the organization that initially turned him away.
Harris said it was through moments of rejection that he grew stronger and was inspired to work harder, which is why he encourages everyone to strive to do their best.
“Do not let one closed door stop you,” Harris said. “Instead, take that loss or closed door, reevaluate yourself and then use that to move forward.”
Now a senior, Harris said he is grateful for his experiences with organizations like Men of Excellence, the Montgomery Leadership Program, Residence Hall Association and Alumni Delegates. He also enjoyed being an orientation leader.
Harris said he believes he developed into the person he is today because of his involvement on campus.
“I have some amazing friends and stories, but all of those things have come from being involved,” Harris said. “My ultimate goal is to engage students to be involved. I can’t think of what my college career would have been like or the person I would have been if I wasn’t active and involved on campus.”
Harris, a communications major with a concentration in public relations, said he plans to get his masters in higher education with an emphasis in student affairs. His long-term career goal is to become a dean of students.
A major part of Harris’s platform is his advocacy for minorities on campus. In January, Harris will host a workshop called “A Seat at the Table” teaching skills to help minorities gain a sphere of influence in future leadership roles or workplaces. 
Tyler McMurray, Student Association president, said Harris is Mr. MSU not just because he is devoted to this school and academics, but because he is a man of the people.
“On the organizational level, he has done so many different things. But on the personality level too, he is everything MSU stands for,” McMurray said. “He cares about everything and wants to make sure everyone is included. He makes people feel important. It is because of that that he is Mr. MSU.”
McMurray, a senior from Flowood, has known Harris since her sophomore year. She said since meeting Harris she has been amazed by his character.
“I wish I could tell you a few words to describe him, but he is one of those people who blow you away so much that you don’t have words to describe them,” McMurray said. “If you haven’t had the chance to meet Nick, then you need to, because you are missing out on something amazing.”
McMurray said she believes Harris is a person who can accomplish anything and she was not surprised when he was named Mr. MSU.
Harris, on the other hand, said he was shocked. He said he never expected to win, as the pool of candidates was so competitive.
“At the end of the day, I want to tell everybody to never stop going for what you want and always go after your dreams,” Harris said.
McMurray said, above all things, Mr. MSU is a person who is genuine and intentional in every aspect of their lives, and Harris truly embodies those qualities.
“Mr. MSU is someone who is intentional,” McMurray said. “He is someone who is intentional in their academics, their relationships, in the goals they have and the ways they go about achieving their goals. Nick is that person.”