A21’s ‘Walk for Freedom’ calls attention to modern slavery

A21 Walk for Freedom

A21’s Walk for Freedom is an annual event intended to raise awareness of human trafficking taking place at various locations around the world.
Mississippi’s first A21 Walk for Freedom will take place on Oct. 14 on Mississippi State University’s campus, beginning in front of Dave C. Swalm School of Engineering Building.
All participants are expected to show up in all black clothing with a yellow bandana around their mouth with “AMY”, “IVAN” or “EVE” written in a permanent marker across the mouth area. Each name belongs to a rescued victim of human trafficking and represents the millions of victims still enslaved. On the back of their bandana, participants will write “FREE.”
The walk will start off with a few opening remarks before participants walk in a silent, single file line through prominent areas of MSU’s campus. The event will take place at the same time as similar events in 600 other cities and 50 other countries.
After the walk, a speaker will educate the participants on human trafficking and inform them on how to further their efforts beyond the walk.
Registration for the event is free. However, participants can create groups for fundraising. The group that raises the most money will receive $100 toward their organization.
All donations will go toward A21’s efforts to hire prosecutors for traffickers, provide shelters for rescued victims and raise awareness for modern day slavery.
Founded by Australian activist, evangelist, author and speaker Christine Caine, A21’s goal is to abolish slavery in the 21st century.
They provide care and services to victims of human trafficking and fight vulnerability in refugee camps. A21 operates in 12 offices in 11 different countries around the world. 
The A21 Walk for Freedom is one event the organization puts on to allow others to join the fight against slavery and create awareness for the 45 million people around the world who are enslaved. 
Claire Hilton, who instigated Mississippi’s Walk for Freedom, saw the need for awareness of human trafficking in Mississippi and began working with Saving Silhouettes to address the issue. Saving Silhouettes, the only MSU student organization dedicated solely to fighting human trafficking, will sponsor the walk.
“I think there is something really powerful about being a voice for those who don’t have one and being able to show people that they are seen even through such a massive problem,” Hilton said. “I am a firm believer that slavery isn’t going to end on its own, and so, for me, I see that as a chance to shine a light.”
According to the A21 website, human trafficking is currently a $150 billion industry and only one percent of slaves are ever rescued.
Although human trafficking is an international issue, Hilton said people should be aware of how often it happens in Mississippi.
Hilton said Interstate 20 is the biggest source of transit for human traffickers in the United States. According to a study done by students at Belhaven University, 90 children were sold into slavery by their families in the Jackson-metro area only a few years ago. 
With human trafficking being the second most lucrative crime in the world, Hilton said she hopes to involve Mississippi more in the fight for freedom.
Hilton said although the walk will be held at MSU, it is not exclusive to MSU students. She hopes to see participants from all across Mississippi at the walk. 
Isaiah Young, a junior electrical engineering major and the public relations coordinator of Saving Silhouettes, emphasized unity as key in this cause.
“This doesn’t have to be something that involves political parties, religious or personal beliefs, or whatever the case is,” Young said. “I think that we can all agree that being enslaved is not a good thing. It’s something that could break down those walls and those borders and then people can come can say ‘Hey, I actually have a passion for this. I want to step on board.’”
Saving Silhouettes has a team of around 50 volunteers assisting with different aspects of the event, like public outreach and social media promotion.
Taylor Parsons, a junior communication major and the event’s greek outreach and set up coordinator, is excited to witness the walk.
“The mission of A21 is so beautiful to me because it reminds us that freedom is not yet a reality for everyone,” Parsons said. “This organization is in the business of changing lives and I am so honored to be a part of it.”
Hilton said there is still much to be done concerning human trafficking and no one person can do it all.
“There’s so many ways to be involved,” Hilton said. “It’s way bigger than just me or even the students at Mississippi State. There’s so much people can do.”
People can register for the event or make a donation to A21 by visiting A21’s website. The walk will take place at 6 p.m. on Oct. 14.