Two plead not guilty to murder charges

Jaylen M. Barken
Courtesy Photo
Jaylen M. Barken

Two Lowndes County men pleaded not guilty to murder charges relating to the shooting death of Mississippi State University student in 2016 in the Cotton District.

Jaylen Barker, 20, and Syboris Pippins, 18, were charged with capital murder and Barker was charged with possession of a stolen firearm Wednesday interim Oktibbeha County Circuit Clerk Angie McGinnis confirmed. Both were denied bond and are being held in the Oktibbeha County Jail.

More: Two indicted for 2016 killing of MSU student

Barker’s and Pippins’ plea date is set for Jan. 22 and their trial date is set for Jan. 29 in Oktibbeha County Circuit Court.

Attorney Anthony Farese will represent Barker and attorney Brent Brumley will represent Pippins. Circuit Court Judge Jim Kitchens will judge the cases.
Barker and Pippins were indicted on capital murder charges for the shooting of 21-year-old Joseph Tillman, senior MSU student majoring in marketing, on Nov. 6, 2016, in the Cotton District. Five men from Lowndes County were initially arrested in relation to his death: Jaylen Barker, Syboris Pippins, Jamario Pippins, Tyler Harris and Brandon Sherrod.
More: Joseph Tillman killed in Cotton District
Syboris Pippins was arrested on Nov. 8, two days after the other four. A press release stated the U.S. Marshall Task Force apprehended Pippins with a felony warrant.

At a press conference on Nov. 7, 2016, Starkville Chief of Police Frank Nichols said Tillman interacted with the suspects before he was shot.

“From evidence we know Mr. Tillman chased one of the suspects toward Stagger In,” Nichols said. “After several yards, Mr. Tillman returned back to the location where the four suspects were still standing. We know based on evidence, that Mr. Tillman interacted for at least four additional minutes before the shot was fired. Based on evidence, at least one shot was fired and the suspect ran toward Stagger In.”

District Attorney Scott Colom said evidence indicated a robbery occurred before the death of Tillman.