Soccer beat San Jose State in make-up game

Three saves protected Mississippi State University women’s soccer’s (9-5-4, 2-5-3 SEC) 1-0 win over San Jose State University (12-5-1, 9-1-2 Mountain West).

Unlike most games, the defining moment did not come with MSU’s MaKayla Waldner scoring the game’s only goal within the first half; instead, it was the chaotic scramble in front of the net where Catalina Perez, a graduate student goalkeeper from Boca Raton, Florida, made three saves at close range.

“I tried to just stay focused on the ball, because there is so much going on, that you just need to focus on the ball, that was my sole wish,” Perez said. “For all the seniors to get our last win at home in a shutout, it’s great.”

It was a close game as SJS challenged Perez, but she stepped up to the challenge, making seven saves. Head coach Tom Anagnost gave credit to SJS, one of the best non-conference teams State has played.

“The first thing I want to say is that the San Jose team is a very good team, and I thought they did very well against us,” Anagnost said. “It wasn’t our best performance I felt like we sat back too much, and we didn’t have our legs.”

Despite their offensive struggles, as they only took seven shots all game, MSU was able to earn a very important win. The game meant a lot to Perez, as this may be some of the players last home games, and they went in with a must-win mentality.

“To leave it all on the field, we have dreamed and worked towards the NCAA tournament for a long time, and we all believe,” Perez said. “We knew we had to come out here and get it done to increase our chances. We just wanted to give everything we have especially to respect this field, respect this place, it is so special.”

Although the team missed the SEC tournament, they still have a chance to reach the NCAA Tournament. The selection show will be on Nov. 6 and will have 64 teams, with 31 conference champions automatically qualifying.

“Every win helps, this is a top 60 team, and they won their league, it is a big win, and they are all big,” Anagnost said. “This was a very good team that we beat, they gave us everything that we could handle.”