Rep. Taylor determined to serve community

Courtesy Photo
Newly elected District 38 Rep. Taylor

A Starkville native and newly elected Mississippi House of Representatives District 38 winner, Cheikh Taylor is passionate about helping and serving his community.
With two additional candidates running against him, Taylor received 59 percent of the total vote over former Ward 2 Alderman Lisa Wynn and activist Narissa Bradford.
“I want the public to know that I am appreciative of their support, and I plan to make bold moves for the state of Mississippi,” Taylor said.
Taylor graduated from Howard University in Washington, D.C., with a degree in Biology and a minor in chemistry. While there, he worked with the National Institute of Health on the Human Genome Project.
“The overall work was rewarding, but I had a passion to make sure I was touching people. I didn’t feel like I was being fulfilled in that laboratory,” Taylor said.
Straying away from his initial desire to become a medical doctor, Taylor decided to pursue other careers before returning to Starkville to better his community. In D.C., Taylor worked at one of the top law firms, Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, and served as a lobbyist for a clean water act.
Returning home, Taylor helped launch the first and second computerized learning centers in Mississippi for HUD Housing. Serving without ceasing, Taylor wrote two $250,000 grants.
“This just seemed so much more rewarding for me on a personal level,” Taylor said.
With a hidden propensity for politics, Taylor was involved in student government in junior high and high school. He was also the president of the junior NAACP during his teenage years. He credits his pursuit of political office to former House of Rep. District 38 Tyrone Ellis.
“As far as I can remember, Tyrone Ellis has been a huge influencer in my life,” Taylor said. “When I was about nine years old, he told me I would be the next state representative.”
Ellis commends Taylor for being an inquisitive and bright young man. He remembers Taylor as an exceptional communicator and receptive to new ideas. Ellis has fond memories of him being extremely courageous and standing up to bullies and what he believed in.  
“He has a deep-rooted will to help those in need,” Ellis said.
Always open to listen, Ellis took pride in nurturing and encouraging Taylor to capitalize on any political interests he had.
“With his ability to stand up and stand out, I knew one day I would have to step aside,” Ellis said.
The special election stemmed from former District 38 Rep. Tyrone Ellis’ resignation in June. As candidacy bids were in place, and Taylor expressed interest in running for the seat, Ellis supported him whole-heartedly.
Ellis acknowledges Taylor’s passion for MSU, childhood development, Starkville Consolidated School District and the criminal justice system.
“It was apparent that he was the ideal candidate because he had his heart in it and showed integrity; it was a no-brainer, that’s why I endorsed him,” Ellis said.
An advocate for community improvement and the well-being of children and parents, Taylor is the Executive Director of the nonprofit organization Brickfire Project, founded by his mother, Helen Taylor over 40 years ago. With this platform, he is able to promote early childhood education, nutrition programs, home construction and job skill programs.
“Brickfire gave me the resolve to serve and impact people that I knew,” Taylor said.
Located in Starkville, Brickfire welcomes those in need. The need is high in this area, and Taylor wanted there to be no barriers between Brickfire and the people needing to be served. The nonprofit also promotes performing arts and accepts volunteers looking to serve the community of Starkville.
More: Students empower children’s futures
Married for 18 years, with two children, Taylor values family. Stepping away from lawmaking, Taylor enjoys supporting his daughter and son at Starkville High School’s volleyball and football events. He also enjoys boxing with his son.
Having adolescent children, Taylor understands the importance of education and reform for the next generation. His passion and drive stem from having children of his own, and wanting them to mature in an economically stable community where they can someday pursue an education or career.
“He always said he wanted to make things better for those coming behind him,” Ellis said.
From setting fuel standards to bettering the roads we drive on, Taylor understands the weight of his new office. He is adamant about education and its many effects on the economy.
“If we look at our economy, it correlates to where we are in the nation with education,” Taylor said.
As student enrollment continues to rise at Mississippi State University, Starkville experiences direct growth as well. Taylor acknowledges this fact, and recognizes the need for housing and further construction suitable for the growing student population. He credits MSU for being the number one employer in the area, and a contributor to Starkville’s economy.
“Mississippi State is a friend of Starkville and a friend of Mississippi,” Taylor said.  
To continue to attract industry and businesses, Taylor recognizes there must be money and resources toward industrial parts.
Janette Self, Former Starkville Ward 7 Alderman is pleased with the pro-education platform and general liveliness Taylor will bring to the position.
“I’m excited, and Mr. Taylor ran a very organized campaign with a lot of energy. I’m really pleased with his stance on education and I am looking forward to what he can do for District 38,” Self said.
Considering the great numbers from the election, Taylor is confident Mississippi is ready for an increase of support in the education system. An advocate for economic growth, Taylor is convinced he and the community are primed to provide the infrastructure necessary for businesses to stimulate economic growth.
“People want jobs, the ability to save to send their children to college and plan the rest of their lives without living check-to-check,” Taylor said.
For those interested in pursuing a political career and various other careers, Taylor encourages them to get involved now and immerse themselves in the subject material. He understands the value of familiarity with who and what one is fighting for.
“Passion develops your platform,” Taylor said.
Taylor believes true help comes from a person moving from one point to another and seeing a true transition. This drive pushes him to further the cause at hand. Taylor is also motivated to use his gifts and talents for the betterment of society.
“Everyone has a responsibility to develop their gifts for the advancement of human-kind; once I realized that, I knew that I could make an impact in this big world,” Taylor said.