MSU student prepares to serve his country

Wendell Goss, a senior at Mississippi State University, is following in the boot steps of those before him as he prepares to serve his country in the United States Army.
Goss, a self-proclaimed “army brat,” grew up in six different military bases, later settling in Tupelo, Mississippi for his high school years.
“Most military bases are the same, so to me it felt like moving across town, even though I was moving from Georgia to Texas to Virginia,” Goss said. “I think people at bases are a lot more open to quick friendships, because it’s like, ‘oh, we have this in common,’ and military bases are really good at being very family-friendly.”
After his first semester at MSU, Goss decided to join the Reserved Officer Training Core (ROTC). This inspired him to become a contracted cadet, meaning that he plans to enter the Army post-graduation. During his time in ROTC, Goss has found discipline, routine, and encouragement from his leaders and peers.
“I really love the community — they’re like my brothers, and the army is giving me an advanced standard to strive for,” Goss said. “It makes me wake up at 4:30 in the morning in the freezing cold and train, and it makes me want to read the books that my leaders suggest. It gives me a motivation, it gives me a drive, a purpose — something to do.”
The standard that Goss explained can come at a high price for soldiers. Because of this, Brian Locke, Interim Director at MSU’s Center for American’s Veterans, said that he hopes to provide a place of rest for students who serve. The full-service center provides student veterans a space to do paperwork, study, and hangout with like-minded individuals.
“We encourage our students to pursue honor, dignity, and higher education,” Locke said.
James Smith, senior Chemistry major from Woodstock, Georgia, said that ROTC at MSU has helped develop the characteristics that Locke described.
“I’ve grown quite a bit due to ROTC. It has brought out a lot of characteristics like perseverance and time management, but I have also made a lot of relationships, as well as mentors,” Smith said.
One such relationship is with Goss, whom Smith quickly became friends with through their ROTC training.
“The day I met Wendell, I was able to tell that he was a very trustworthy person and had a lot of ambition. He is not afraid to speak up and is always there to help and volunteer for whatever is needed,” Smith said.
Goss’s reputation and character has allowed him to advance to an army Assistant S-1, which is a personnel position. There, he helps manage and lead other cadets.
For Goss, Veteran’s Day is a time to reflect on the sacrifice of all veterans, including his parents.
“My parents were both deployed, and I can definitely remember being at home without them sometimes. I couldn’t think of living without my parents. So it’s a ‘thank-you’ for people who didn’t come back home, and it’s giving our utmost respect for them. They volunteered to serve,” Goss said.