The vaping exemption goes up in smoke

Tuesday night the Starkville Board of Aldermen put an end to the vaping saga, denying the proposed vaping exemption to the 2008 smoke-free ordinance by a vote of six to one.
Before the issue was put to a vote the aldermen held their final public hearing on the issue. Josef Enfinger, owner of 1810 Vapors on Stark Road, presented his final plea to the aldermen to uphold the exemption, which would directly impact his store.
“I can work with an exemption for standalone buildings, I can work inside those confines as long as I can continue to take care of my customers like they have grown accustomed to,” Enfinger said. “I am asking you not to hurt my business, my employees and most of all not to hurt my customers with this vote– their lives depend on it.” 
Robert McMillen, an associate professor at Mississippi State University, resident of ward 7 and the director of the National Social Climate Survey of Tobacco Control, spoke to oppose the vaping exemption.
“It (vaping exemption) could create legal space for cigar bars and hookah lounges, that I don’t think would be a good thing for Starkville,” McMillen said. 
McMillen, a lifelong advocate to prevent smoking, was awarded the 2006 Prevention of Cancer in Mississippi Award by the Mississippi Partnership of Comprehensive Cancer Control.
Alderwoman Sandra Sistrunk of Ward 2 motioned to deny the exemption and was seconded by Vice Mayor Roy A. Perkins. The exemption was put to a roll call vote, with only Alderman Ben Carver of Ward 1 voting for the exemption.
Mike Jeffcoat, the vice president of Mississippi Vapid Advocacy Association and co-owner of Magnolia Vapes, a vape store franchise throughout Mississippi, said he was disappointed with the outcome of the vote and felt the BOA misunderstood their objective with the exemption.
“The decision was obviously not a good one for the vaping industry,” Jeffcoat said. “We were not looking to add combustible tobacco, they keep using the word smoking, we weren’t trying to get smoking in there (exemption). It was strictly vaping.”
After the BOA meeting the main proponent to deny the exemption, Perkins said this vote showed the board’s commitment to be consistent across the board on all issues.
“Tonight, was a very great vote. Tonight’s vote represents the mayor and board is very concerned about the overall health and welfare of this city,” Vice Mayor Perkins said. “The amendment, if allowed, would have created an environment in which the 2008 ordinance would have allowed smoking in our city. We sent a very strong message that we want to continue to be a leading municipality in the state of Mississippi that completely bars and precludes smoking in public places.” 
In other business:

• The first public hearing was held in regards to amending the current sign ordinance. A representative from Lamar company, a national leader in billboard advertising, spoke on behalf to keep the current ordinance intact.
  • The complete streets policy was approved by a vote of five to two. The policy will aim to repair, replace and add sidewalks to Starkville streets.
  • The location for a prototype tactical urbanism project was approved by a unanimous vote. The location for the project is in-front of the Oktibbeha County Library.
  • An annexation study area was approved by a vote of five to two.