MSU hosts 27th International Fiesta

Jenn McFadden, Graphic Editor
MSU hosts 27th International Fiesta

Mississippi State University’s 27th annual International Fiesta will be held from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. on April 1 on the Drill Field.
World Neighbor’s Association and Holmes Cultural Diversity Center are the primary organizations sponsoring the event.
The fiesta will feature organizations, clubs and departments with displays and booths exhibiting the countries the groups chose to represent.
The free event will have dancing, music performances, singing and a fashion show. 
Kei Mamiya, program director for Holmes Cultural Diversity Center, said the fiesta gathers students, faculty and members of the Starkville community together 
“The International Fiesta also provides people with opportunities to interact with people of different nationalities and backgrounds to develop a broader understanding of various cultures and today’s globalizing world,” Mamiya said. “It would be an amazing opportunity to try authentic dishes and see cultural performances from various countries.”

Joan Mylroie, president of the World Neighbors Association, said 46 groups will participate in the International Fiesta.
Mylroie said many people will be wearing their national costumes.
“It is an amazing sight,” Mylroie said. “The International Fiesta is a fun, friendly event designed to encourage cross-cultural exchange.  It is a relaxed atmosphere to learn about each other and make friends.  Knowing and understanding each other as friends is the start to making world peace.”
The event starts with the Parade of Flags at 11 a.m. People are invited to gather in front of Allen Hall by 10:45 am and carry one of the 125 flags from all over the world across the MSU Drill Field.  
Mylorie said attendants  can “travel” around the world without having to buy a plane ticket and the event will have an area of activities specifically for children.
“The international entertainment is a treat with the different sounds, dancing and costumes,” Mylorie said.