New gadgets: technology benefits, simplifies college life

Apple iPhone 3G
    Apple iPhone 3G

1. Apple iPhone 3G – Even though Apple released this device July 11, 2008, college students are still pining for this phone. Its size, innovative applications and the jealously that comes from non-owners keeps this phone from sliding down the totem pole of technology. Sure there are others such as the T-Mobile G1 Android and now the Blackberry Storm, but Apple has built a trust system with its users and that seems to help the iPhone come out on top when contrasted against its competitors. But at a whopping $199, most students will have to save a little money to afford this or have their parents gift it to them. We’ll see how well the iPhone does after the Palm Pre is released through Sprint.
    2. Amazon Kindle – As if Amazon.com didn’t offer online shoppers enough, they introduced an easier way to read in November 2007. This e-book reader presents users with an electronic paper display of over 88,000 available digital titles. The titles are available through Amazon Whispernet with no fee. The pros of this new device is it doesn’t require a computer to be used and it saves the environment by not using paper. The cons of this device? It makes our generation look even lazier to our elders. But at $359, it could break the bank for most students, especially when books usually go for less than $20 at most bookstores.
    3. Netbook – This miniature laptop gives students an easier way to access the Internet. Ranging in size from below 5 inches to above 12, it would fit in any backpack or messenger bag. With the price tag averaging at $400, this could easily become a secondary laptop for students as they travel. A downside of owning one of these tiny computers is its depleting battery life.
    4. Polaroid Pogo Instant Digital Camera – If students find themselves missing past days of clicking a Polaroid camera and shaking the photograph until it fully appeared, Polaroid is attempting to rekindle childhood memories. This new camera, introduced at the 2009 Consumer Electronic Show allows users to edit and print 2 x 3 photos from the camera in under 60 seconds.