MSU searching for best singers

Once again, Mississippi State students have the chance to show off their singing skills as MSU Idol returns to campus for its fourth season.
    Blake Butler, the entertainment division head for the Campus Activities Board said the winner of this year’s idol will represent MSU at a college idol contest at the University of Southern Mississippi on April 25.
    The winner at USM will receive a $1,000 prize.
    “We want to find the most talented representatives we can so MSU can win and show that we have talent,” he said. “We will send our winner there and on top of that, they will win a $300 prize here.”
    Auditions will be held on Feb. 4 from 6 to 9 p.m. in the Colvard Student Union’s Fowlkes Auditorium.
    No student will be turned away from auditions.
    “From the auditions we pick 10 finalists. The first night all 10 perform,” Butler said.
    He said it is tough to turn people down after auditions, but it will be fun to hear the good and the bad.
    “All the people who made it through auditions will come together at the end and perform together,” said Jacob Jones, CAB coffeehouse division head.
    The first three rounds will be Feb. 19, Feb. 25 and March 5, at 6 p.m. in the Union Dawg House.
    “It was very crowded in there last year, but this year we plan to remove the furniture and put in chairs to make it more comfortable,” Butler said.
    Two final contestants in will perform at Lee Hall on March 12 at 7 p.m.
    “Each round, they must sing from a different style or decade of songs, Butler said. “It makes it more of a challenge to find a song that fits their voice best.”
    The judges have not been finalized, but they are looking for someone who will have Simon Cowell’s skeptical attitude, Jones said.
    “We’re looking for fun judges. Staff, not students,” he said.
    The host will be Joy Powell, the current Miss Maroon and White.
    “I’m really excited about getting to host it and really honored that they asked me,” Powell said. “I actually had a few friends who participated last year.”
    She said she admires the people who have the courage to get up on-stage and sing in front of a crowd of people.
    Powell said she will try to keep her reactions to the singers voices in check.
    “Being an honest person [reactions] usually show on my face. It’ll be a time to practice my acting,” she said.
    Last year Sarah Pope won MSU Idol.
    “I think we showcased a lot of MSU’s talent [last year],” former CAB entertainment division head John MacArthur said. “It was a lot of fun just to see how everyone’s voice was. If they need my help [to judge], I’ll definitely be available.”
    CAB will have a booth on the Union’s first floor Jan. 28-29 to sign up for auditions.
    Students can also sign up in the CAB office on the third floor of the Union.
    “It’s always a good turn-out, always a good crowd,” Butler said. “We can watch our fellow students like we would on [‘American Idol’].”
    For more information visit, msstate.edu/org/cab.