MSU sprinters to kick off spring

The Mississippi State University track and field sprinters have been recharging for the 2009 season over the break. According to the coaches and athletes, this year brings high expectations.
    For the women, the leaders have been All-American senior Marrissa Harris and junior LaQuinta Aaron.
    Harris garnered bronze at the North America, Central America and Caribbean Under-23 Championships in Toluca, Mexico, last summer. She competes in the heptathlon, pentathlon, 100 meter hurdles and long jump, gaining NCAA All-American honors in the heptathlon. Aaron, a provisional qualifier for the NCAA, competes in the 200 meters, 400 meters, heptathlon, pentathlon and 4?100 meter relay.
    “Last year, [Harris] had a breakout year,” assistant women’s coach Bryan Fetzer said.
    Harris said the team has an opportunity to take people by surprise this year.
    “We have a really talented team. The SEC doesn’t expect a lot from us, but we’ll surprise a lot of people,” Harris said.
    “Our strength is in the hurdle and long jumps, and heptathlon and pentathlon,” Fetzer said. “The biggest improvement is [the runners’] commitment and focus is significantly different than it was last year. They took a dedication to the sport, the way top level athletes in our conference do. The SEC’s depth, especially in the sprints, is overwhelming, deeper and top-to-bottom more competitive.”
    The men’s sprinters are highlighted by senior John Bailey, sophomore Emmanuel Mayers, junior Kendall May, sophomore O’Neal Wilder and freshman D’Angelo Cherry.
    “Bailey started out as a walk-on and earned himself a scholarship. He’s obviously displayed a lot of determination,” associate head coach Steve Dudley said. “It’s easy to have determination for two days or a week, but it’s hard to have determination for a long period of time. John has had determination for a long period of time.”
    Injuries have set in for the Bulldog speedsters. Bailey has been plagued by chronic hamstring injuries. He said his goal is to remain healthy during the season and to become an NCAA All-American. Wilder, a two-sport athlete in football and track, had surgery on his knee recently after suffering a season-ending hyperextension in football. He is progressing with his recovery.
    Mayers has been top of the line concerning his training level, according to Dudley. He has developed well enough to become an All-American in the 100 meters.
    “For him to make eighth and get All-American was tremendous. It would be like being one of the eight best quarterbacks in the NFL,” Dudley said.
    Dudley complemented his group’s talent, but said he feels the runners are lacking two things – mentality and leadership. He said his team could show more dedication on the track and in the classroom, and it would better all around production.
    “Since I’ve been here, when our GPA is at its highest, we’ve placed the highest we’ve every placed at nationals. If you’re lazy in the classroom, then you’ll be lazy on the track,” Dudley said. “We didn’t have a good semester academically. I’m not really happy about that.”
    The women begin their indoor season Jan. 23-24 at the Arkansas Razorback Invitational in Fayetteville, Ark. The men’s team begins outdoor competition in March.