Green: The new maroon

Through the implementation of several new programs, Mississippi State is placing a renewed emphasis on environmental awareness.
    University Relations has recently created a program titled “Print Green,” which allows clients to have their publications printed on paper consisting of recyclable materials.
    The new printing program aims to encompass the whole university by involving more departments and encouraging the purchase and use of recyclable paper.
    Harriet Laird, associate director for University Relations, said the program is going well.
    “We have tried to include other departments we know use a lot of paper . so they can be aware they can buy recycled paper as copy paper,” Laird said. “We also want to inform others to print using soy-based ink.”
    At the same time, the university is also seeking ways to make an environmentally friendly transition to the newly redesigned wordmark.
    Maridith Geuder, director of University Relations, said rumors about various departments having to throw away anything with the old mark are untrue.
    “We [the university] would never tell anybody to throw away what they currently have,” Geuder said. “What we recommend is to consider the new mark when it is time to reorder their supplies . there is no timeline for everything to be switched over.”
    While reaction to the new mark and spirit symbols has been mixed, Geuder said the university stands to make a profit from these newly copyrighted designs.
    “Every time this wordmark is used, it helps bring more money to Mississippi State . in the area of scholarships and additional funding,” she said. “Part of the reason for the new mark is so that we could offer more options for licensed products that could potentially benefit Mississippi State.”
    Geuder said vendors are happy with the new changes and wanted more variety in making MSU apparel.
    The university paid about $16,000 from a licensing fund for the new marks to be created by Pennsylvania-based Joe Bosack Design Company. Geuder said the committee was never given the option of developing the new logos with MSU-based graphic designers or students.
    “The charge from the beginning was to get an external based company to develop these new marks,” she said.
    Anything not paper-based with the old mark or “M-State” logo, such as the Barnes & Noble signs or university car marks, will only be changed if or when they need to be replaced, Geuder said. She said the university is trying hard to limit waste and be environmentally conscious.
    “We are doing many things to help make MSU more environmentally friendly and we ensure that no waste from the new wordmark will occur,” Geuder said.
    The College of Arts and Sciences has developed its own program, called EDGE, to promote environmental awareness. The program’s name is an acronym meaning enquiry, diversity, green and ethics. It was introduced last semester to encourage the college to think about the environment.
    CAS Dean Gary Myers said the program is growing and has already produced results.
    “We also now publish our college newsletter, Vision, online rather than in paper version,” Myers said. “We are also developing new computer programs that will eliminate the need for some of our paper forms.”
    Students are starting to see faculty and administration become more environmentally friendly. Junior history major Stacy Morris said her introduction to ethics class professor has implemented green policies.
    “[Professor] Trisha Phillips does not require our class to buy a textbook and she puts our readings online for us to easily get to,” she said. “I think it is a fine way to have class.”
    No matter your feelings about the environmental movement at MSU, Laird said conservation is the right thing to do.
    “I think everyone on campus should feel a responsibility as far as the environment,” Laird said. “Even if you do not believe in global warming, we have a responsibility to our children to make sure that the Earth is clean for their generation.”