Women’s tennis team prepares for spring

The Mississippi State women’s tennis team begins spring play this month. Coach Tracy Lane’s team returns seven letter winners from the 2007 campaign, where the Bulldogs finished 10th in the SEC, including seniors Martina Banikova, Daniela Juskova, and Elna de Villiers.
    Lane begins her 11th season in charge of the Bulldogs in 2009. Under her coaching, the Bulldogs have made the postseason four times, 1999-2001 and 2005, but have never advanced past the second round.
    “We made a lot of improvements in the fall,” Lane said. “The fall is more individual rather than team-oriented and we tried out some new doubles combos.”
    Lane said she believes the team will benefit from the senior leadership.
    “The three seniors all have had an immediate impact. They help us stay focused,” she said. “Martina is our No. 1. [The seniors are] contributing to doubles.”
    The team also has two talented 17-year-old Russian freshmen.
    Injury problems have plagued the team in recent years, and have prevented the Bulldogs from showing their true quality. MSU sputtered to a 1-10 SEC finish last season after injuries kept key players out of contention.
    “We have to stay healthy, that gives us the opportunity to be our best.” Lane said.
    The goals that Lane has set for the Bulldogs this season have been set high. ”
    “We want to win every non-conference match. That puts us in position for postseason,” Lane said. “We want a national rank.”
    MSU got ranked in the top 75 last season during the non-conference season.
    Slovakian senior Banikova leads the team, having started as the No. 1 position in singles and doubles the last two years. She also made the NCAA tournament individually in 2007 reaching the second round.
    This season Banikova targets more team success for the Bulldogs. MSU has not made the NCAA tournament as a team since 2005.
    “I want the team to make the postseason instead of just as an individual,” Banikova said.
    Banikova said she also wants to keep her position as the top player on the team as she is faced with competition from entering freshmen Natalia Mayuk and Oleysia Tsigvintseva.
    “I would like to still be the top position in the team. We have two new freshmen from Russia [this season],” Banikova said.
    She and her teammates have echoed the same strengths of the 2009 squad.
    “I think we have motivation for each player to get the team to the NCAA tournament,” she said.
    De Villiers hails from Namibia and is one of many Bulldogs who has struggled with injuries over the last year.
    “There are three seniors this year. We help encourage the younger players,” de Villiers said.
    “The seniors are staying smart about conditioning. Last year, the injuries came to seniors. This year, whatever we do is to win our matches,” she said.
    De Villiers worked her way to the No. 2 singles player on the team last year, but she has not been able to finish a season as a Bulldog without getting injured.
    Another Slovakian senior Juskova said she admires how the team works together.
    “Chemistry is really strong among everyone. We have no conflicts on the court. Everyone is a hard worker,” Juskova said.
    She said she also admires the skill of the freshmen.
    The two Russian freshmen are joined by Brandon native Jordan Zachary to total the three newcomers.
    Other Bulldogs have had strong fall campaigns in preparation for the team season. Slovenia native Radka Ferancova reached the finals of the SEC Fall Coaches before falling in straight sets. Russia native Valeriya Makarycheva reached the semifinals of her draw in the 2008 ITA Southern Regional Championships in October.