UPDATED: University places Lambda Chi Alpha on probation

Mississippi State University placed Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity on probation today after the organization admitted to holding an unauthorized party and violating university alcohol policies.
    The fraternity’s probation will continue through May 15, 2010, and the group also faces sanctions from its national office.
    The terms of the probation include:
    – Organizational activities limited to internal business meetings and member recruitment through Dec. 31, 2009.
    – From Jan. 1-May 15, 2010, activities limited to alcohol-free events, all of which must be approved by appropriate university authorities.
    – Completion by all members of an alcohol education class through the dean of students’ office.
    – Sponsorship of an educational speaker for all MSU Greek organizations on a topic that benefits the needs of the community.
    – Progress reports submitted to the university every three months.
    In a statement released today by University Relations, Bill Kibler, vice president for student affairs, said university officials consider the probation appropriate to seriousness of the group’s actions.
    “Failure to comply with any of these terms, as well as substantial terms from the national fraternity, can result in additional sanctions,” he said.
    Lambda Chi Alpha President Ben Nanney would not comment at the time of publication and directed all questions to the fraternity’s national headquarters.
    In a statement from Tad Lichtenauer, Lambda Chi Alpha National Headquarters communication director, national fraternity officials said they agree with and support MSU’s decision to place the Epsilon Chi chapter on probation.
    “The university’s terms for probation were the result of a collaborative effort between the university, the undergraduate chapter leadership and the International Headquarters,” he said.
    Editor’s note: This story was updated at 3 p.m. Friday to include a statement from Lambda Chi Alpha officials.
    The Reflector will provide updates to this story as they develop.