Number of MSU H1N1 cases declining

According to the Student Health Services, the number of current flu cases at Mississippi State is lower than it has been for several weeks.
    The heaviest wave of cases was seen in mid-August, but according to University Health Services director, Dr. Robert Collins, students should still be cautious to avoid becoming sick.
    Students should continue to wash their hands regularly, cough into their arm and not hands and hibernate until they do not have a fever if they are sick, he said.
    “H1N1 vaccines will be available in the Health Center in October, and we encourage all students to get vaccinated,” Collins said.
    Robert Cadenhead, administrator of the Longest Student Health Center said more flu cases were seen this August than last, but the health center was still not as busy as February and March usually are.
    “The only thing out of place about it was that we were seeing these cases in August and not in the winter,” he said.
    Cadenhead also said there has been a substantial decrease in the number of cases the Health Center was seeing.
    “We were seeing 30 to 35 patients with the flu each day. Now we are seeing eight to 10,” he said.
    Cadenhead said the University Health Services was well-prepared for the influx of cases. It began monitoring the situation regionally and globally in June.
    It also stocked up on supplies and medications so they would be ready when students returned to campus.
    During the heaviest flu time, the Health Center postponed follow-up appointments for several weeks.
    “This was to make sure healthy patients stayed healthy, and so we could use resources wisely,” Cadenhead said.
    MSU also provided students who have been confirmed to have the flu with “flu kits.” These kits include FluWATCH information, acetaminophen, thermometers and surgical masks. The kits are available at the Longest Student Health Center.
    The Division for Student Affairs also made arrangements to deliver meals to students on meal plans who have the flu.
    Some students have not made any changes to their daily routines to keep from getting sick.
    Freshman electrical engineer major Jamie Elsmore said he did not worry about catching the flu.
    “I don’t personally know anyone who is sick, so I haven’t had to worry about it. I can’t remember the last time I was sick,” he said.
    To date, Mississippi State has had 542 confirmed cases of the flu since July; only 33 are still sick.
    It is recommended if a student’s roommate is confirmed to have the flu, they maintain a six foot distance from them. They should not share eating utensils or dishes, and all surfaces in the room or apartment should be sanitized. If they must share a common space, they should wear a surgical mask.
    The symptoms of the flu, both seasonal and novel H1N1, include a fever, cough and sore throat, runny nose, body aches, chills and fatigue. Those confirmed to have the flu should hibernate so they do not spread it to others.
    The flu can be contagious for up to seven days, so patients should be fever-free without medication for at least 24 hours before coming in contact with others.
    Updated information on the flu is available on the FluWATCH link of the Mississippi State Web site.
    The MSU FluWATCH site tells students to follow the acronym WATCH, wash hands, avoid close contact, toss tissues, cough of sneeze into a tissue and hibernate if sick.