Sunday sales face possible setbacks

Despite various reports from local media, the fate of Starkville’s Sunday liquor sales is still undetermined.
    The Tax Commission has neither approved nor denied Starkville’s request. As the situation stands now, Starkville residents will be able to purchase light wine and beer on Sundays starting Sept. 22.
    State Tax Commission spokeswoman Kathy Waterbury said the commission needs more information before it can reach a decision. The matter could be brought up at its next meeting in two weeks, or it would be postponed.
    “Alcohol is a sensitive subject in Mississippi,” she said, “There are 34 dry counties and four half dry.”
    According to Waterbury, the commission wants a listing of all cities in Mississippi by region where there are Sunday sales so they can compare that to other areas in the state. She also said there is not a set date for the board to decide liquor’s fate in Starkville on Sundays.
    On Wednesday, rumors surfaced as to whether or not the commission had made a ruling.
    “As I told every single one while the commission was meeting, no order had been drafted.” Waterbury said. “Until written and signed by commissioners, nothing is official. There was no way to confirm or deny anything.”
    Starkville Mayor Parker Wiseman said he spoke to the Alcohol Beverage Control Office Wednesday about the reasons behind the review.
    “The Tax Commission feels they’ll be seeing a similar number of requests [for Sunday alcohol sales] from throughout the state,” he said. “We’ll just have to wait for their decision.”
    Ward 5 Alderman Jeremiah Dumas was unable to remark at this time.
    Ward 4 Alderman Richard Corey also said Wednesday it would be unfortunate if Jackson decided to go against a majority decision in Starkville.
    When asked Wednesday about how the city would react to the commission’s denying the request, Wiseman said he would cross that bridge when he comes to it.
    “There is nothing to do right now. At this moment the situation remains the same,” he said.