Leaving his mark, Dixon looks ahead to NFL

In almost four years at Mississippi State, senior running back Anthony Dixon has taken hold of the record books. The fan favorite is MSU’s all-time leader in rushing yards (3,299), rushing touchdowns (37) and 100-plus yard games (14).
    Bulldog head coach Dan Mullen has expressed his happiness for Dixon, and said he had high expectations for the bruising runner since day one. However, Mullen said after his first encounter with the running back, he knew some issues had to be worked out – particularly with weight and grades.
    “My first conversation with [Dixon] in person after our first phone call, he said, ‘I’ve never had anybody talk to me quite like that before,’ – of how much he was going to be held accountable and how much was going to be expected of him, and if not, that’s fine, there’s no room for him,” Mullen said.
    Dixon has since tackled all his personal issues, and after being charged with driving under the influence in July, Mullen said Dixon’s impact has only been positive.
    “He may not always make the best decisions, but in his heart, he wants to do the right thing,” Mullen said. “That’s the type of player you want to develop, and the type of person you want to build your program around.”
    Former MSU coach Jackie Sherrill knows a thing or two about developing running backs after coaching MSU greats like Keffer McGee, Dicenzo Miller, James Johnson and Jerious Norwood. He said Dixon has to be considered one of the best backs in Bulldog history.
    “I can say you have to put Dixon into that group as one of the best that has played at MSU,” Sherrill said. “If for nothing else he has the rushing record, and to have that record at any program is very special, especially with State’s history of running backs.”
    There is no doubt Dixon is proud of his records, but the Jackson native said being a Bulldog has meant much more to him than just playing football.
    “Coming from where I came from, Mississippi State just makes life better,” Dixon said. “I’ve met a lot of positive role models and friends who have rubbed off on me. It’s just been a blessing to be up here around some of these guys. It’s made me a better person.”
    One of those friends is senior quarterback Tyson Lee, who said he has similar feelings toward Dixon. He said Dixon is a brother to him who is always good for a few laughs.
    “A leader in the locker room and a leader on the field, Anthony is just a great guy,” Lee said. “He’s the one we look to when we need some laughs.”
    Senior linebacker Jamar Chaney said he acknowledges Dixon is fun to be around off the field, though when practice starts he is not nearly as excited to see Dixon coming his way. Chaney said Dixon has never run him over, of course, but he is one of the few who can say that.
    “He’s a tough back to tackle,” Chaney said. “He’s probably the toughest back I’ve had to play since I’ve been in college, and I’m not just saying that because he’s on my team.”
    Dixon is planning to transfer that toughness to the NFL after finishing his career at MSU, and said he has high hopes for the 2010 draft.
    “I really would love to be the No. 1 pick,” Dixon said. “That’s a player’s dream. You want to be the top one. You want to be the first player called, especially if you feel like you’ve been working it hard and you’re that type of player – and I do.”
    Currently, CBSsports.com projects Dixon to be the fourth running back taken in the 2010 draft, going in the third round. LSU running back Charles Scott is the only SEC back projected higher.
    Playing in the NFL would certainly be a dream come true for Dixon, and Sherrill said he will have a shot. Sherrill said Dixon seems to get stronger as the game goes on, which is a sign of a great running back. However, he said even if Dixon gets his wish and is picked high in the draft, it is still no guarantee for success.
    “A.D. will definitely get a chance to play at the next level,” Sherrill said. “But it so hard to predict how he will do. Not even some of the No. 1 picks have made it.”
    The ever-confident Dixon said the possibility is a dream come true, and he has known since high school he had the ability to make it.
    “Me and my brother used to play in the backyard all the time,” he said. “Whoever was big in the NFL, we envisioned ourselves being right in their spots, right in their jerseys. I always thought I could be that, and I just worked hard at it. I won’t take no for an answer.”
    That never-say-no attitude is part of what has made Dixon a joy to watch, particularly on his many patented end zone dives.
    “I tell my teammates I’m going to do whatever it takes,” he said. “If I don’t see that I can get around them or go through them, I just go over them.”