Johnny Cash festival has new location, new pardoning

This weekend the third annual Johnny Cash Flower Pickin’ Festival will pick put its foot down again as fans, friends and family of the late singer and former guest of the Starkville City Jail gather to remember and redeem.
    Past festivals have focused on the Cash family accepting a symbolic pardon from the city for his 1965 arrest. Cash was arrested, as he later put it, for “picking flowers” and spent the night in the city jail.
    The encounter spurned Cash to pen “Starkville City Jail” which he performed on his live, and of his most famous albums, Live from San Quentin.
    Unlike last year, the Cash family will pardon the city of Starkville for its transgressions, albeit very tongue in cheek.
    This year, the festival will depart from its previous Main Street location and move to Rick’s Cafe, where the whole festival will be held.
    Relocating to Rick’s Cafe moves the site of the festival very close to the actual spot where Cash was arrested in 1965.
    After closely considering not having the festival this year, festival organizer Robbie Ward said currently there is a greater need for the festival.
    “I think it’s great seeing Johnny’s family, other performers and the community come together to celebrate our unique culture and heritage,” Ward said. “We considered very seriously postponing the event until next year. We thought at a time of recession, when people are losing their jobs, that this is the time people need to hear about redemption more.”
    The Starkville community rallied and threw its weight into ensuring the annual Flower Pickin’ Festival, would continue.
    “Many local businesses and even a church have stepped up and lent their support. They have made the festival possible,” Ward said.
    Rick’s Cafe owner Rick Welch opened the doors of his establishment to host the music of the festival this year.
    “I’m looking forward to having everyone here and having a lot of local support. That’s what really will make this thing great is the locals supporting it,” Welch said.
    Headlining this year’s festival will be Carlene Carter, daughter of Cash’s longtime wife June Carter, and Justin Townes Earle, son of singer-songwriter Steve Earle and namesake of infamous songwriter Townes Van Zandt. Also, local groups like Mayhem String Band, Poacher, Nash Street and Ming Donkey will be playing throughout Saturday.
    A redemption service and brunch will be held Sunday morning to close out the weekend’s events.
    Songwriter Jimmy Tittle, a son-in-law of Cash who will perform at the festival, said he looks forward to the trek south every year.
    “I’m a Southern boy, and I like whenever I can get further south. Plus, we’re celebrating John’s [Cash] life,” Tittle said. “The heart’s there. We’ve got some really great friends down there.”
    New Jersey native and festival performer Michael Patrick said he feels the nature of the festival resonates with attendees.
    “The festival feels very authentic, and it’s very cool to be around the fans of the music and Cash’s family. It makes me interested to see what happens,” Patrick said.
    For more information on this year’s Flower Pickin’ Festival and to view a map, visit pardonjohnnycash.com.