Be careful when choosing words

There is a verse in the Bible that states, “To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heavens.”
    This is a fact many forget when the time comes for it to be applied. We all have thoughts, those thoughts lead to words, those words lead to actions and those actions hopefully lead to satisfaction, not regret. We are all entitled to our opinions, but metaphorically speaking, the right to swing your fist ends with another person’s nose.
    It’s true we sometimes wish we could control the actions of others, but the fact of the matter is we can only control ourselves. The situations we encounter are not half as important as the way we react to them. When opportunities present themselves, we must examine of all the consequences and circumstances at hand before we allow ourselves to make an assessment.
    There are multiple issues many people feel strongly about. For example, I’m sure if you have ask a rape victim how he or she feels about a rapist, or the whole concept of rape, they would have a lot to say if they could find the words.
    If you were to travel back in time and ask any family or group personally affected by misfortune, slavery, loss or any situation that played a eminent role in their lives, I’m sure they would be able to pour out their souls, no matter how happy or sad their memories may be.
    But just like there are serious personal testimonies, there are also many false ones. I am referring to those who speak just to get a reaction from the crowd and see what the response will be. Many times, these types of people speak just to hear their own voices, and when they finish, they fail to realize nothing has been heard and very few even care. This is why it is so important to not just have a voice, but use it to bring positive and great things to pass with careful thinking and planning, and not create confusion.
    Let’s put this on a more familiar table. Every state, county, town, college and organization has leaders. Leaders are put in place to lead and represent his or her followers to the best of your ability. Everyone is equal, but it’s true leaders are held to a higher caliber than most.
    It’s important much thought and preparation go in the words that leave the mouth of the leader and enters the ears of the audience. As leader, you are speaking on behalf all followers who have put their trust and their liberties partly in your hands. So to speak or act in an illogical manner would be sacrificing all that makes you a leader. Is that a price you would be willing to pay?
    But on a lighter note, be sure to think the next time you speak, especially if you represent more than one mind. In each breath you take, try and consider the infinite possibilities that could come about in your next breath.
    Consider everything going on and that has gone on before you speak. View your environment, make a logical analysis, then go about your task in a professional way, no matter how elementary it may seem to others.
    At the end of the day, take a bow because you have made a difference, not because you have given an amusing performance.
    Stedmond Ware is a sophomore majoring in biological sciences. He can be contacted at [email protected].