Wednesday night brings Randy Rogers Band

Wednesday night just happens to be one of those nights when a good band comes to Starkville.
    This band, the Randy Rogers Band, will be at Rick’s Cafe. These boys from Texas are not at all newcomers to the Starkville music scene and have built a fairly large fanbase here.
    Whenever a band can rise to the top of such a scene as our neighbors to the west, it has definitely earned its keep in a touring sense.
    For a band like this, that’s made $2.5 million on tour, was called the “Must see act of the summer” by Rolling Stone magazine and “Best Country Album” by Playboy magazine, making some noise and touring incessantly has turned a rough, college-town band into a pack of road dogs.
    Rogers, lead singer and songwriter for the band, is a good lyricist penning both rocking bar anthems and the deeply serious ballads.
    Also, being a native Texan, he writes about home in way we all can relate to. Like many Texas singer-songwriters, he has a sharp set of teeth and sets them into old girlfriends, society and himself.
    The music of Rogers is a lot more visceral and real than the candy-coated Top 40 Nashville and the like exude.
    This is a country band, so fiddle has to be included, and Roger’s fiddle player, Brady Black, is one of the best. If you like to see dominant musicianship, definitely come out and see this guy play.
    The country genre has been mentioned. There’s a lot of stigma that comes along with that.
    Well, this is not “Bob’s Country Bunker” country, rather, if these guys would have come along 30 years ago, they would be considered rock.
    But if you prefer boots to sneakers, then these guys will not disappoint. It’s rowdy, live and loud, definitely a good release after such a frustrating weekend of football.
    So, come and get loud with these guys from the Lone Star State. If you’ve been really studious this semester, locked down all A’s on midterms or if you just like a good time, get out and see a concert. Matter of fact, if you’ve got a 4.0 GPA at midterm, you need to get out. The fresh (bar) air will do you good.
    For more about Randy Rogers go to randyrogersband.com. To purchase tickets for the show, visit rickscafe.net.