Georgia Tech recap

As the Bulldogs dropped their second-consecutive game, turnovers were once again the story of the loss. The Yellow Jackets and Bulldogs were virtually identical in every other statistical category. Both teams ran 68 plays on offense and Mississippi State actually outgained the Jackets 487-479. However, five turnovers prevented MSU from reaching the end zone as often as they could have and 21 of Georgia Tech’s 42 points came off of Bulldog fumbles. MSU coach Dan Mullen said the turnovers are what lost the game.
    “When you turn the ball over four times you have no chance of winning,” he said. “Turnovers are something we preach and obviously I’m doing a real poor job of as a head coach in that.”
    Mullen said the coaching staff should be held accountable for losing and that he is very proud of his team’s effort.
    “I’m really disappointed with our defensive coaching staff. Obviously, if you give up 266 yards passing and another 200 running you didn’t do a whole lot defensively. Our kids battled and I’m proud of them for continuing to fight. They deserve a coaching staff that puts them in position to win.”
    A number of Bulldogs had outstanding days on the field. Leon Berry returned a kickoff 89 yards for a touchdown, Chad Bumphis scored two touchdowns and racked up over 180 all-purpose yards and Anthony Dixon, despite his two fumbles, passed the century-mark rushing for the third consecutive week.
    Mullen said he was disappointed in Dixon’s fumbles, but said he is not worried about Dixon in the future.
    “He’s a senior and he’ll battle back from that. He’s done everything that we’ve asked him to do since I’ve been here,” Mullen said. “I have no doubt that Anthony is going to practice hard this week and respond to that.”
    Senior running back Christian Ducre was the third Bulldog to reach the end zone Saturday when he scored on a four yard run with 3:41 left in the fourth quarter, bringing the score to its final count of 42-31.