Keenum a visionary

Mark Keenum will be officially inaugurated as president of Mississippi State University today in a series of ceremonies.
    Keenum, who earned all three of his degrees from Mississippi State, served as Sen. Thad Cochran’s chief of staff for 10 years and served for two years as undersecretary of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
    Keenum is a breath of fresh air after our recent revolving door of presidents. Though grounded in MSU roots, he can bring fresh ideas to the campus, thanks to the time he’s spent away.
    Keenum enters office at a difficult time for MSU. We are already experiencing budget cuts, and we are likely to see more in the near future. We commend Keenum for being so open about the matter.
    Rather than protecting his favorite departments and hanging the rest out to dry, he has initiated broad communication with each individual college within the university and told the plain truth about the cuts. This high level of transparency has helped build trust between him and the departments.
    Keenum has already overseen the challenge of finding replacements for the vice president of agriculture, forestry and veterinary medicine and the dean of students. We are also in the process of searching for a new provost and a vice president for research and economic development.
    Keenum has also been a supporter of the Environmental Collaborative Office and its efforts to create a more environmentally-friendly campus. When Keenum took office, Harvard’s Sustainability and Eco-Friendliness Report rated MSU at a D+, the lowest score in the SEC.
    Under Keenum’s leadership, MSU has risen to a C+ in the latest report. We still have a long way to go, but we are confident Keenum is leading us in the right direction in this area.
    Keenum has said he would like enrollment to exceed 22,000 by 2015. This ambitious plan will require more parking spaces, residence halls, buildings and teachers, and it will be a challenge in this climate of budget cuts.
    We would like to see Keenum continue to cultivate the relationship between the university and the City of Starkville. This will improve the Mississippi State experience for current students and make both the university and surrounding area appealing for prospective students.
    One way this could happen is by improving the bus system. Although we already have a few shuttles, we could add many more routes going through campus and into Starkville. Many students do not have cars, and having a number of buses going through the city would give them a chance to leave campus without having to find a ride.
    With enrollment increasing, parking lots will probably have to be built farther and farther away from buildings. An expanded bus system would help alleviate traffic and improve the environmental quality on campus.
    We expect Keenum to stay here for several years, establishing some stability after having five presidents and interims in the last four years. Keenum has proven himself to be an advocate for the university, not an empty showpiece, and we believe he will continue to be one.
    Keenum said his favorite movie is “The Quiet Man,” and that’s who he is, a humble man who emphasized how today’s ceremonies are not about him, but MSU. He is exactly who MSU needs to lead us through these difficult times ahead.
    The Reflector editorial board is made up of opinion editor Harry Nelson, news editor Kyle Wrather, assistant news editor April Windham, sports editor Justin Ammon, entertainment editor Bailey Singletary, photo editor Ariel Nachtigal, copy editors Dee Works and Amy Addington, online editor Adam Kazery, graphic designer Carl Carbonell, managing editor Aubra Whitten and editor in chief Carl Smith.