Displays show Keenum’s history, honors

In conjunction with today’s presidential investiture ceremonies honoring Mark Keenum as Mississippi State University’s 19th president, the investiture exhibit and involvement committee has been working to create excitement leading up to today’s events with displays, banners and posters in dedication of Keenum.
    There will be pieces honoring Keenum all over the university including Allen Hall, the Colvard Student Union, Lee Hall, the MSU Welcome Center, Perry Cafeteria and Mitchell Memorial Library.
    There will also be a display downtown in the Greater Starkville Development Partnership. Posters congratulating Keenum will be distributed to departments across campus and to downtown businesses in Starkville.
    Banners will be hung on all of the buildings lining the Drill Field.
    The first displays put up were on the first floor of the library.
    When walking in from the Drill Field, students can view several displays specifically honoring Keenum and educating students about the president’s office.
    The displays, dedicated to the life and career of Keenum in particular, contain pictures of Keenum with his family, certificates and awards, pictures with national political figures, various news articles and MSU memorabilia.
    Frances Coleman, dean of libraries, said it was Keenum wanted the exhibits to focus on MSU, instead of just him.
    “Our President wanted to be sure we had items which not only reflected him, but also Mississippi State in general,” Coleman said.
    Pattye Archer, a member of the exhibit and involvement committee, said the group worked hard to include the entire university in the displays.
    “We wanted to encompass MSU faculty, staff, research, students and our veterans,” Archer said.
    One of the highlighted exhibits will be the Gallery of Presidents in the Drill Field entrance of Allen Hall. The exhibit will display the pictures of all 19 Mississippi State presidents. After a couple of weeks of display in Allen, the exhibit will be moved to the Colvard Student Union for viewing.
    Other displays will be on the following subjects: Presidential Leadership, Excellent Research, Exceptional Staff, Student Leadership, Master Teachers, MSU Meridian and Honoring Our Veterans.
    In addition to the displays arranged by the exhibit and involvement committee, each school and college has individual exhibits to honor faculty members as well.
    MSU President Mark Keenum said the investiture committee has done an outstanding job coordinating this project.
    “The investiture committee developed the idea of using displays at the library and at other venues around campus and community to highlight the good things our university is doing to educate our students and call attention to the wide-ranging role Mississippi State University plays in serving our state,” Keenum said.
    Coleman said the displays will remains up for two to three weeks so students have an opportunity to view them.
    Psychology major Janice Stidman said it is a good idea to have the displays in the library where they are easily accessible to students who are just walking through.
    “Students should know more about Keenum,” Stidman said. “If they don’t know about him, they should want to, and this is a good way to inform students about the president.”