Online Only: Saints crush giants, Patriots pulverize Titans: fantasy players emerge in week six

Week six of the NFL was fun to watch as the Saints smashed the Giants, the Patriots pulverized the Titans and Ol’ Greybeard led the Vikings to another last-second victory. It was an exciting set of games, but Sunday gave us a lot to think about as we make plans for future weeks of fantasy football. There are a number of intriguing players on the waiver wire, and we’ll take a look at a few of them here.
    Vince Young QB/TEN – For the second consecutive game, the former Rookie of the Year came in late after Kerry Collins led the Titans to epic defeats. His stats (0-2 passing) are unimportant, but the fact he could soon regain the starting is job is. Collins completed two of his 12 passes for minus 7 yards, and threw one interception. Wow. Expect Young to take over any day now.
    Marc Bulger QB/STL – Bulger used to be a top-ten fantasy quarterback, and I’m not saying he will be this year, but he is finally turning things back around. He’s got Steven Jackson to take pressure off the passing game, and second-year receiver Donnie Avery is finally getting hot. Bulger passed for 213 yards and one touchdown Sunday, and could be very useful as a bye-week fill in.
    Laurence Maroney RB/NE – It’s tough to trust a New England running back, but with Sammy Morris and Fred Taylor hurt, Maroney had a huge day against a better-than-average Tennessee defense. Rushing for 123 yards and one touchdown Sunday, Maroney is a great pick up if Morris doesn’t return immediately.
    Jonathan Stewart RB/CAR – He’s the reason Deangelo Williams’ owners hate themselves. He gained 110 yards on the ground against the Bucs and also ran for one touchdown. He’s become the goal-line back for the Panthers, and with Jake the Snake stinking things up at quarterback, Carolina is going to run, run, run. Stewart needs to be owned in all leagues.
    Sidney Rice WR/MIN – Rice is the pick up of the week in fantasy leagues everywhere. He’s proving to be one of Favre’s favorite receivers with his blazing speed, as he caught six balls for 176 yards against the Ravens. Expect Favre and his cannon of an arm to keep throwing the long-ball to Rice.
    Sammie Stroughter WR/TB – This one is for deeper leagues, but Stroughter is becoming fairly relevant in fantasy. As Antonio Bryant and Michael Clayton have struggled, Stroughter has emerged as one of Josh Johnson’s preferred targets, catching three balls for 65 yards against the Panthers. If you get points for return yards, keep this in mind: He fielded three punts, racked up 142 yards and took one all the way back for a touchdown.