Online Only: Boy Scouts come to campus

This weekend, Mississippi State University will host hundreds of Boy Scouts from the Pushmataha Area Council for a camporee. The council is made up of troops from Clay, Lowndes, Oktibbeha, Webster, Noxubee, Monroe, Winston, Chickasaw, Choctaw and Calhoun Counties.
    This is the first year which MSU has been involved with the Boy Scouts’ Super Bulldawg camporee event. Vice President of finance and administration Mike McGrevey has played a key role in the organization of the event.
    “We are strengthening our connections with the Scouts,” he said. “We’ve had overwhelming support from folks from this campus . and would like to continue to hold this event each year.”
    McGrevey, who is an eagle scout, said the goal is to better connect the scouts and MSU by hosting a Merit Badge University. The event would allow scouts to earn badges in areas not usually available at summer camps.
    Brian Wells, who was fundamental in planning the event, said over 16 different merit badges which will be taught. Faculty will be on hand this weekend to help the Scouts earn badges in animals and outdoors, arts and architecture, science and videography and engineering and technology.
    Over 200 Scouts, ranging from ages 11 to 18, will participate in this weekend’s activities beginning Friday afternoon with registration, camp setup and supper. Saturday, the Scouts will spend the day working to earn merit badges in different areas. Sunday will conclude with a flag ceremony, uniform inspection, religious observance and awards presentation.
    Artis Ford, scoutmaster and senior executive for the Office of Agricultural Communications, has been volunteering for almost 11 years now. This weekend, he will help teach the cinematography merit badge.
    “They gain leadership experience and learn responsibility,” he said. “They learn how to work with other people,”
    Ford said scouts gain personal confidence when given the opportunity to learn new skills or overcome obstacles. Such confidence will help them when they faced are with challenges in and out of Scouting.
    “My favorite part [of volunteering with the scouts] is watching young boys become confident, young men of character,” he said.
    According to Ford, the event will be a success if it causes some boys to follow a path in higher education in their future.
    McGrevey said future plans for this event include making the camporee an annual event and inviting every troop in the state to attend every third year.
    “We believe in outreach effort through the three S’s – state, scouting and service,” he said.
    Currently, MSU hosts a sports day for Cub Scouts who sell over $250 worth of popcorn. This event, which was started last year, allows the eligible Cub Scouts and MSU coaches to come together for a day of recreation, learning and fun.
    “Scouting is strong in teaching self confidence, character, integrity and leadership skills,” McGrevey said.
    He said scouting opened up all kinds of doors for him and he would not be where he is today if it were not for the scouts.