SA looks to expand ‘Route’ funding

As the Student Association sponsored Night Route fall semester of operation came to a close this weekend, the SA is looking into new ways of funding the route.
    While the SA is in no way expecting to discontinue the Night Route, SA treasurer Hunter Futch said every little bit of funding helps.
    “We contacted campus organizations that ride the route the most – specifically the Greek community – and asked for a contribution from their respective leadership councils,” Futch said.
    According to SA President Blake Jeter, some Greek organizations have already helped fund the Night Route.
    The Greek organizations include Tri Delta, Delta Gamma, Phi Mu and Zeta Tau Alpha sororities and Phi Delta Theta, Sigma Alpha Epsilon and Sigma Chi fraternities.
    The Night Route is a free shuttle service for MSU students and the Starkville community. It runs Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights during the school year. This semester, the SA was billed over $55,000 for the route, which they were able to cover.
    “With additional expected budget cuts approaching, I think it is best to raise money before a potential serious funding problem confronts the route,” Futch said.
    According to Jeter, the majority of current funding comes from the businesses in addition to 2 percent food and beverage tax allocation which comes to MSU with help from finance and administration of the university.
    “We are planning on renewing our contracts with businesses and seeking new sponsors between now and the first of the year,” Jeter said.
    The Night Route has transported over 15,000 students so far this semester. During a peak weekend, the route can transport as many as 2,500 students, Jeter said.
    “It not only promotes safe transportation for our students, but it also allows our students and citizens of the community to have easy access to restaurants and establishments in the city,” Jeter said.
    While in the past patrons of the Night Route have been well-behaved, security had to be added this semester due to behavior becoming slightly out-of-hand, Jeter said. This security has incurred a rise in the operational cost of $500-600 per weekend.
    Futch said new funding ventures could possibly come from apartments which would like the Night Route to stop at their complexes. Another source could come from targeting businesses the route stops at frequently as well as groups of people who ride the route frequently.
    “I believe it is necessary. It does a lot of good for both students and Starkville residents,” Futch said.
    Sarah Daws, freshman human sciences major, said she thinks donations would be a good way to raise money for the Night Route.
    “A good way to raise funds would be to hold events with the funds benefiting the Night Route, something like contests for what class or department can raise the most money,” Daws said.